cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW CPU temperature

wilsok
Level 7

I more like a desktop user for my entire life.... so i don't know much about laptop and their weaknesses

Situation:
I bought this model (G501JW) like a week ago and the temperature of CPU alone reaches 70-87 when gaming
and the SURFACE of the laptop gets pretty much heated up and the BOTTOM of the laptop is like an inferno.
I know Tj junction for i7 4720hq is 100 but 87 is still high...
should I be concern i mean look a this...

Question:
since you guys have more experience than me.. Is this normal? should I be concern? especially in the bottom
of this laptop is like an inferno!!
2 REPLIES 2

unclewebb
Level 10
You are correct that Intel has set the thermal junction temperature to 100°C but some individual manufacturers have decided to set this to a lower value. This is called TJ Offset. You can use ThrottleStop if you want to see how much TJ Offset that your laptop is set to.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 4
https://www.sendspace.com/file/78dnne

It was written by the same author as RealTemp but it has a lot of additional features specifically for laptops.

RealTemp is showing LOG LOG LOG LOG across all 4 cores. That means that all 4 cores of your CPU have reached the thermal throttling temperature so all 4 cores have been forced to slow down due to thermal throttling. This information is logged within the CPU. It is possible that Asus is using a 15°C offset so instead of the thermal throttling temperature being 100°C, it is actually only 85°C. If you turn on the ThrottleStop - Log File option before gaming, it will show you if your CPU is slowing down and by how much. Thermal throttling happens so quickly that some software misses what is going on but RealTemp or ThrottleStop will show you exactly how much throttling is going on.

I have to assume that Asus know what they are doing so you should not be too concerned. Long term, your laptop should be safe at these temperatures.

Mochammad_Mirsh
Level 7
wilsok wrote:

I more like a desktop user for my entire life.... so i don't know much about laptop and their weaknesses

Situation:
I bought this model (G501JW) like a week ago and the temperature of CPU alone reaches 70-87 when gaming
and the SURFACE of the laptop gets pretty much heated up and the BOTTOM of the laptop is like an inferno.
I know Tj junction for i7 4720hq is 100 but 87 is still high...
should I be concern i mean look a this...

Question:
since you guys have more experience than me.. Is this normal? should I be concern? especially in the bottom
of this laptop is like an inferno!!

as it said G501JW is the slimmest and coolest gaming laptop "at its class". with its thin body the cpu temperature max at 86 c and gpu at 79 c is very safe for me. if it compares to others upper model of rog gaming laptop such g771, the cpu and gpu both max at 84-86 c which is the g501jw handle the gpu temperature better