cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4860hq 96c

kingkaann
Level 8
Just out of the box my new G751JY i turn it on and benchmark the cpu right away and it goes from 40 to 96 as soon as i click bench....and starts thermal throttling..how annoying is this..3k laptop..ive had this issue with my other asus laptops too i always thought this was a bad paste..anyone know a fix for this? do they not put a thermal paste at all?
20 REPLIES 20

Edweird
Level 10
I'd have it exchanged in your place. The 48**s do run hot...but that's ridiculous.

warryabel
Level 7
kingkaann wrote:
Just out of the box my new G751JY i turn it on and benchmark the cpu right away and it goes from 40 to 96 as soon as i click bench....and starts thermal throttling..how annoying is this..3k laptop..ive had this issue with my other asus laptops too i always thought this was a bad paste..anyone know a fix for this? do they not put a thermal paste at all?

what is with your last g751 jt?

warryabel wrote:
what is with your last g751 jt?

no answer? you fried him?

warryabel wrote:
no answer? you fried him?

no i didnt fry it.. i was updating the bios using winflash and it randomly shut down and my bios got bricked. and thats that.

escha
Level 7
i got one with i7-4860hq and i saw 96 only once in the summer when there was 30 C in room and only after 30 minutes of gameplay.... normally would top at 92
never saw the temp like that right from the start of a bench and i did stress test it with prime small fft test
looks like there is almost no contact between coldplate and cpu

Boxis
Level 7
I have G751JY with 4860hq too and it runs similarly hot. Had it repasted as well but temps did not change. Unfortunately it seems that problem is in the CPU, however, if the CPU was made to reach these temps, it probably is not as dangerous to it as to other types of CPUs, no idea.
Anyway CPU is topping at 94-95°C during heavy gaming, mostly sitting around 84-90°C in heavy demanding games with 99% GPU usage ofc.

Boxis wrote:
I have G751JY with 4860hq too and it runs similarly hot. Had it repasted as well but temps did not change. Unfortunately it seems that problem is in the CPU, however, if the CPU was made to reach these temps, it probably is not as dangerous to it as to other types of CPUs, no idea.
Anyway CPU is topping at 94-95°C during heavy gaming, mostly sitting around 84-90°C in heavy demanding games with 99% GPU usage ofc.

My friend,

Thank you for your response...I was about to repaste today but I changed my mind on the last minute. My concern is also is that it's thermal throttling and we are not getting the full use of our cpu in games or benchmarks...I tried everything throttlestop and etc. nothing worked.I have a budy with a similar system JY with G-sync his cpu is fine in regular temps. unlike ours.

kingkaann wrote:
My friend,

Thank you for your response...I was about to repaste today but I changed my mind on the last minute. My concern is also is that it's thermal throttling and we are not getting the full use of our cpu in games or benchmarks...I tried everything throttlestop and etc. nothing worked.I have a budy with a similar system JY with G-sync his cpu is fine in regular temps. unlike ours.

You are welcome.

Is it thermally throttling only in benchmarks or in games as well ? Because all programs have thermal throttling set to 95°C, when in reality its 100°C, so you should be still able to see max clock at this temp.
Not in benchmarks though, many reviewers pointed this out that even at good temps, these processors cant main their max turbo clock during some specific stress tests(mainly prime95), but, if you are rendering videos or so, then you should see max clock at this temp still.
Please, try monitoring your clocks during your gameplay to see, if they are dropping when your CPU hits these temps.

I am using this laptop heavily for 10months already, with the processor peaking at 95°C as I said, and obviously I was worried for a while. I have sent it for repaste, and they said there was no need to repaste, that after doing so, the temps did not change, and after doing their stress test they said the laptop is not overheating even when processor reached these 95-96°C during 10hour stress test. They said its fine for this chip and I should not be worried until it hits over 100°C often.

But ye, if you want better temps, then try to return it and pick one with 4710/4720 processor.

lmujaj wrote:
hmmmm ive g751jy with 4860 , and something must be wrong with my machine ,,, i just stres test my cpu , and highest temp it was 74c

Try Prime95 small ftt + FurMark with some temp recording program for 15mins, and make screenshot after, if you can. If you have such good temps still, then you are one of few with such cool chip.

lmujaj
Level 7
hmmmm ive g751jy with 4860 , and something must be wrong with my machine ,,, i just stres test my cpu , and highest temp it was 74c