cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Rampage III Gene or incompatible RAM

Threed
Level 7
Before I start, I would just like to say that I can rule out the possibility of a faulty CPU, PSU and RAM as being the issue as they have all been tested in other systems.

My problem lies with either a faulty motherboard or incompatible RAM.

Which is where you knowledgeable guys come in.

The motherboard is a Rampage III Gene, recently purchased on Ebay, and the RAM is Crucial Ballistix BLS4G3D18ADS3CEU Sport XT 4GB PC3-14900 Memory Module.

Without RAM I get the appropriate beeps to indicate no RAM installed, with RAM I get no beeps but it will not post no matter what DIMM slot I use - the DRAM LED remains lit. When I connect to it with my laptop via iROG the status reads that no memory is detected. I have also reset the BIOS.

While swapping CPU's, I noticed a bent pin on the socket which needed a little adjustment.

I currently have no other RAM to test so I'm wondering what my next move should be? Buy another stick of ram? Adjust some settings via iROG? Twiddle with the bent pin some more? Or admit defeat and send the motherboard back?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Threed and Welcome to ROG 😉

I can't find your DIMM modules listed on the ASUS QVL, so they may or may-not work.
Try another set that have been tested to work with your MB.
Your Warranty would be void, if it is a bent pin and you RMA. Needs to be checked.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, the RAM isn't listed, I just assumed that it would still be detected by the BIOS. Which leads me to another question: would a fully working motherboard not detect RAM that is incompatibility or would I receive another status message via iROG?

Buying more RAM is my last resort as I don't wish to potentially throw good money after bad, but it may be the only way forward.

The motherboard was listed as working so I will just return it to the Ebay seller it it isn't.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Treed.

I would rather try a correctly specked kit of tested DIMMs, before returning the MB. however you don't really know what you are getting second hand.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]