cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero owners - what's the fastest RAM you've gotten stable?

Saintfurion
Level 7
I guess I could broaden this to all Asus z170 owners...

I have a G.Skill Ripjaws 4 set rated for 3000 mhz that I cannot get stable at rated speeds despite a ton of tweaking. It runs fine at 2133 and 2400, however. I'm still in the process of finding exactly what max speed it will run at.

I realize that these are all overclocked sets and that sometimes your mileage may vary, but just wondering what other users are experiencing. Was hoping others could provide what brands they're using and what speeds they're attaining. I'm not sure if my situation is an issue with the motherboard or if I just got unlucky with my RAM. Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
I have a M8H with 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Black (3200MHz/16-16-16-36-2N/1.35v) and only need to load the XMP profile to be stable at 3.2GHz.

Update to my partial answer:
Haven't loaded windows yet, but was able to get linux connected up sufficiently to run some interesting tests (significant load).

TridentZ 3400 32G running at 3333MHz without issue under heavy load. The reason for 3333 vs 3400 is that I haven't yet debugged why the on-board GPU is completely intolerant of any setup that isn't BCLK=100 and 1150MHz. So, until we figure that one out, I am limited to BCLK=100 rather than XMP's 10x.x that brings you to 3403MHz.

The GPU issue is that under or overclocked, it does not matter, any BCLK!=100 gives digital noise and random blanking and eventual disconnect over both DIsplayPort and HDMI2.0.

p.s. FWIW, from stock to 3333 without changing the 4.2GHz CPU/Cache speed, I saw a ~15% bump in performance of a large memory, multi-core application that is CPU/Memory bound not disk/network/io. Perhaps more notably, at stock memory speeds it was performing identically to my 4970k and 5930k (@ 4.6GHz and 4.4GHz respectively)on the same number of cores (4).

cekim
Level 11
Partial answer:

I have a 32G 3400 TridentZ kit that I had planned on using in an x99 system now in a 6700+HERO, but my x99 didn't like it (though it won't let me run 2800 on a 2800 kit either, seems my memory controller tops out at 2666 on that system).

XMP seems to boot and run so far @3400 (actually 340x don't recall the last digit), but I haven't stressed it as it booted into linux without a network card. Once I get my x99 system sorted out, I'll get back to setting this system up and running something more interesting.

Booting linux at all is usually a good sign though since I've frequently had z97 and x99 systems pass hours of RealBench only to crash when linux turns on the cache during boot at the same voltages/frequences.

On-board video doesn't like to be under or over-clocked though, I get digital noise and random blanking sometimes so, as I mentioned at the start... "partial answer".

Saintfurion
Level 7
Thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah I'm thinking I might give a new kit a try. Any big difference between RIpjaws and Trident from G.skill?

NemesisChild
Level 12
You will have a better chance with the Trident series since they use higher quality IC's.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

cekim
Level 11
Update to my update... DDR4 @3403MHz now with cpu @ ~4.2GHz (stock/auto/xmp w/BCLK @ 102.1 as XMP dictates)

This is straight out of the box XMP and nothing else but the key difference is a bios update. Haven't stressed it yet, but I am back into linux and the goofy graphics issues seem to have mostly gone away (I get a flash now and then)with the latest bios flash.

Of course the skylake graphics aren't supported yet (so I am stuck in 1024x768) in anything but bleeding edge kernel, but I don't need it in linux.

Menthol
Level 14
4000mhz xmp

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40