cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been experiencing G551JM issues lately

FangedFreak
Level 7
I bought my G551JM about 4 months ago at it was great. I upgraded to Windows 10 when it went live and haven't had any problems. I started experiencing issues when I went on a business trip to Frankfurt at the beginning of the month. Got to my hotel, took my laptop out of my hand luggage and opened it up. Everything was fine until I got a BSOD Driver Power State Failure. No idea what this was so I resumed my normal ways.

It seems to happen when I don't have the laptop plugged in. Whether i'm playing games or browsing the internet. It'll be fine for 20-30 mins and then it'll BSOD. I've read online that maybe it's an Nvidia driver issue so I've updated those to the latest firmware (including the 358.59 hotfix)

In the past week my laptop has started freezing whenever I start a game I get a notification "Nvidia windows kernel mode driver version 358.59 stopped responding and has successfully recovered". If I load up a game like Terraria I get the notification and the screen flickers and the sound slurs but I can carry on playing without any problems. As soon as I try and load a more graphic intensive game like Elite: Dangerous the game runs fine for a little while (about as far as the title screen) and then just seizes up.

Not entirely sure what's going on as this has only happened recently. Nothing I can find on the internet gives a definitive answer as there seems to be variances and different solutions. Would it be a good idea to do a full factory reset or is there a simpler solution?

Full specs are as follows:
Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ Quad Core Processor,
Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit,
8GB DDR3 RAM,
750GB 7200RPM HDD,
Dedicated GeForce GTX 860M 2GB Graphics#

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
I would roll back a couple of NVidia drivers until you find one that doesn't cause the issue?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I would roll back a couple of NVidia drivers until you find one that doesn't cause the issue?

As far as I know I never did an update, only ones I did were manual. Would this still be worth a try?

Update: Rolled back. Games no longer freeze =]

Some times we have issues with the latest drivers from NVidia, It's worth a try since you haven't done anything else to cause the issue.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro