Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Epic

Nice man, i have the same config as you and basically am thinking about doing the same as you aka buying a 980TI.

My questions is...without the OC....is it worth it to take the case off ? it sure has a bad airflow but still...i would like to max its lifespan as well.

I usually like to game with very high to ultra settings as well but im ok with 60 FPS (if more i do see the difference and would not mind getting more FPS).

Thanks man.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array a100 PC Specs
    a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    ProcessorIntel i7-4790 3.6GHZ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX980Ti Reference OC`d GPU: +210MHZ - Memory: +300MHZ
    Sound CardOn board
    MonitorBenQ XL2430T Gaming LED Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung Evo Pro 850 512G SSD
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus
    OS Win 8.1 Core Single Language
    Accessory #1 Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Sure thekos575 , opening the case the way I showed you makes huge difference. Even if you OC it, it`ll work perfectly fine since air flows freely and GPU wont touch 70 degrees even during heavy gaming. CPU, ram and BIOS also benefit from this airflow so it helps the whole rig.

But I definitely suggest you go for a 330w Dell Alienware PSU.

Last night while I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition(maxed out), during a heavy graphical movie scene, GPU acted weird and that was due to the 230W asus psu I`m using, on regular game play it has no issues but movie scenes in this game are intense since I`m playing it maxed out.

Open the cage of this tiger install a GTX980Ti and OC it and definitely use a good PSU for the GPU, play as hard as you can, you`ll enjoy it

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by a100 View Post
    Sure thekos575 , opening the case the way I showed you makes huge difference. Even if you OC it, it`ll work perfectly fine since air flows freely and GPU wont touch 70 degrees even during heavy gaming. CPU, ram and BIOS also benefit from this airflow so it helps the whole rig.

But I definitely suggest you go for a 330w Dell Alienware PSU.

Last night while I was playing Dragon Age Inquisition(maxed out), during a heavy graphical movie scene, GPU acted weird and that was due to the 230W asus psu I`m using, on regular game play it has no issues but movie scenes in this game are intense since I`m playing it maxed out.

Open the cage of this tiger install a GTX980Ti and OC it and definitely use a good PSU for the GPU, play as hard as you can, you`ll enjoy it
    Thanks for the reply man. I will have to search for a 330W PSU then and will deffinitly do that.

So far i love the right now but i just cant think about not getting the new gtx980TI for better performance and such.

BTW: what is the safest temperture for the PC without affecting life expectency ?

Thanks again.Cheers

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

Here is the link to the amazon for that PSU : http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware.../dp/B009IPUBTS

Different parts have different Temperature caps, If this is about GTX980Ti:

-Nvidia says it can handle up to 92 degrees.
    -Gamers try to keep it lower than 85 degrees.
    -80 degrees is considered normal.

But hear what I experienced: I`m playing the best games currently on the market. For instance, Far Cry 4 with Maxed Out settings is a huge badass game. While the temperature was around 80-85 before I do the cooling trick (and I must say I barely stopped it from going higher by using 90% of fan speed) I noticed stutter on some points of the game, game was going good but not perfect. So after I did that trick and lowered temps by 15 degrees and fixed it on 71 degrees max, I noticed a much more stable picture should say fully smooth.

Also on FireStrike test, after cooling down the GPU, I noticed 700 points of difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats not a joke.

Now with my current setup, even by using a stock 230W ASUS PSU, I get FireStrike result of 15100 which is really cool if you are familiar with the nature of that 3DMARK test.

So here is your answer (my opinion not a fact) : GTX980Ti works at its best maximum result if you can fix the temperature at 70 degrees max.

Sorry if it became an essay, just trying to be as much helpful as I can.
    Last edited by a100; 11-17-2015 at 04:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by a100 View Post
    Here is the link to the amazon for that PSU : http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware.../dp/B009IPUBTS

Different parts have different Temperature caps, If this is about GTX980Ti:

-Nvidia says it can handle up to 92 degrees.
    -Gamers try to keep it lower than 85 degrees.
    -80 degrees is considered normal.

But hear what I experienced: I`m playing the best games currently on the market. For instance, Far Cry 4 with Maxed Out settings is a huge badass game. While the temperature was around 80-85 before I do the cooling trick (and I must say I barely stopped it from going higher by using 90% of fan speed) I noticed stutter on some points of the game, game was going good but not perfect. So after I did that trick and lowered temps by 15 degrees and fixed it on 71 degrees max, I noticed a much more stable picture should say fully smooth.

Also on FireStrike test, after cooling down the GPU, I noticed 700 points of difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats not a joke.

Now with my current setup, even by using a stock 230W ASUS PSU, I get FireStrike result of 15100 which is really cool if you are familiar with the nature of that 3DMARK test.

So here is your answer (my opinion not a fact) : GTX980Ti works at its best maximum result if you can fix the temperature at 70 degrees max.

Sorry if it became an essay, just trying to be as much helpful as I can.
    Thanks for the reply man and thanks for the link of the PSU.

Ye good point with the cooling and ye..better safe then sorry.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I cannot do this for the time being sadly with my 980ti upgraded system. I have the PC sitting inside the tower case portion of my desk because I have nowhere else for it to go.
    Using MSI Afterburner i generally force fans to 65% speed for MOST games (Witcher3, Arkham Knight, Mad Max, Phantom Pain, Fallout 4 etc) but for Frostbite engine based games (Dragon Age Inquisition, Battlefield series, Star Wars Battlefront) Im forced to put fan speed at 75 or 80.
    I do this to keep my system temps in the mid 60s to 70s, I don't want it going higher. The noise isn't that bad, and completely unnoticeable when I do use headphones.

But also to assist in keeping my system cool ive been using two of these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00
    Basically cheap USB powered tower fans, i set one next to my tower to blow cold air to the back of the desk and force the hot air up, another directly in front to blow cold air underneath, hopefully some of which gets drawn UP into the intakes underneath. I would not recomend parking it front of the video card, its gonna do one of two things 1) block the normal exhaust or 2) if facing inward, stop the hot exhaust from getting out

ROG Member Array

Nice upgrade!

Quick question; With the reference gtx 980, it had 2x 6-pins right? The new gtx 980 Ti has 6-pins + 8-pins, what did you do here?

Thanks in advance

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

No probs buddy, G20 has extra 2 pins, so you can easily use 6+8, at least my G20 was like this.

ROG Member Array

Thank you, i've open the case and looked, have the extra 2pins.

Question about the Dell 330W supply. Is it possible to damage the system some how? The input circuit will get more power than usual...

a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Sound CardOn board
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus

No, logic is like this:

330W (and maximum of 400W) and 16.9 Amps (and maximum of 22.5 amps) is the power that the PSU can provide.

This range is available for G20 to ask, PSU doesnt push this into your G20.

So, no it wont hurt your G20.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast