Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Aha thanks! I thought it was full effect immediately from the PSU at first

ROG Member Array

So, I hate to resurrect this thread if it's too old, but I've recently upgraded my G20 to a 980ti, and now, I'm working on finding a way to cool this baby down. I love a100's open air idea, but I really like the way my G20 looks when it's sitting upright, so I decided that I'm going to slightly alter my case in an attempt to cool it without too radically changing it's appearance.

To open the case and allow it to breathe means taking off one side of the computer case, the side which acts as a cover. In order to keep it upright and keep it cool, I'm planning to build a cooling enclosure out of old laptop stands and external cooling fans. Basically, I'm going to attach a wire mesh stand to the cover side of the case, which will allow it to stand on it's own, and add massive cooling fans, while still managing to keep the lights on the cover side connected. I'm also planning to add an external cooler to the top of the case, even though it probably won't be necessary. It's getting relatively colder where I live now, so this is going to end up being a bit overkill for now, but in the summer months, I feel like I'm going to be glad I did this. I'd like to keep you guys updated with progress as I work on this little project.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hello FellPryde

Yes please do keep us updated on your project, we'd love to see some pictures.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array a100 PC Specs
    a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    ProcessorIntel i7-4790 3.6GHZ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX980Ti Reference OC`d GPU: +210MHZ - Memory: +300MHZ
    Sound CardOn board
    MonitorBenQ XL2430T Gaming LED Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung Evo Pro 850 512G SSD
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus
    OS Win 8.1 Core Single Language
    Accessory #1 Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by FellPryde View Post
    So, I hate to resurrect this thread if it's too old, but I've recently upgraded my G20 to a 980ti, and now, I'm working on finding a way to cool this baby down. I love a100's open air idea, but I really like the way my G20 looks when it's sitting upright, so I decided that I'm going to slightly alter my case in an attempt to cool it without too radically changing it's appearance.

To open the case and allow it to breathe means taking off one side of the computer case, the side which acts as a cover. In order to keep it upright and keep it cool, I'm planning to build a cooling enclosure out of old laptop stands and external cooling fans. Basically, I'm going to attach a wire mesh stand to the cover side of the case, which will allow it to stand on it's own, and add massive cooling fans, while still managing to keep the lights on the cover side connected. I'm also planning to add an external cooler to the top of the case, even though it probably won't be necessary. It's getting relatively colder where I live now, so this is going to end up being a bit overkill for now, but in the summer months, I feel like I'm going to be glad I did this. I'd like to keep you guys updated with progress as I work on this little project.
    I like it when people like you go fierce with such ideas

I on the other hand always liked a gaming table with only monitor, mouse and keyboard, so thats why I invented (if I may say) that kinda cooling.
    As I shown on the first post, it is cool !!! Its below the window and since its getting colder and colder, specially after the snow we had 6 days ago, if I open the window a liiiiiitle bit, GPU as well as CPU cool down for some degrees. But even with the normal room temperature maximum temp is 71 degrees for the GPU and 65 for the CPU. For me its amazing having those stats for an OverClocked GPU. Killing every single one of those intense games out there feels good

But as Nate said, let us know how your project goes.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Just one thing, apart from congrats!
    To warn people: Your advise on incrementing GPU core clocks etc, are for a Reference card. I got a Strix Ti, and I would not add 200 on top! LOL

I am getting 17.100 Firestrike scores with OC'ed Strix Ti (100 mhz added). And yes, now Asus GPUTweak 2 seems a nice tool.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GoHack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FellPryde View Post

You could drill some holes into the case cover, in a neat pattern, across from where the video card is installed, in order to allow more external cooling air to be drawn in.
    Last edited by GoHack; 12-12-2015 at 03:40 AM.
    - Asus ROG G20AJ, Intel i5-4460 CPU, Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L, 2x Corsair 128GB SSD's (RAID 0), Nvidia Geforce GTX 670, 180W and 230W Power Supply Bricks, Acer GN246HL 24" Monitor, Windows 10 (x64)

- Alienware Aurora R4, Intel i7-4820K, 20GB DDR3, 2 TB HD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, Windows 10 (x64)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by GoHack View Post
    You could drill some holes into the case cover, in a neat pattern, across from where the video card is installed, in order to allow more external cooling air to be drawn in.
    Thought about it, but I honestly don't think that'd be enough. Even with the case partially open and tilted towards the GPU fan, it still gets pretty stuffy in there. Too stuffy for me to even consider OCing it, let alone play hours of something like Witcher 3.

Anyway, as for an overall update, the biggest challenge I had trying to figure out how to do this is honestly just keeping the PC supported. The case is designed in such a strange way. The cover-side pretty much supports the entire computer, but is too thin to stand on it's own, even if I were to affix the laptop cooler to it.
    Though, someone gave me an interesting idea that will help bring this all together, even if it probably won't be the most aesthetically pleasing of my options. I'm going to create a mount/rack for the G20 out of two adjustable office organizers, creating a slot for the left side of the computer, the laptop cooler and the cover-side respectively. I'll worry about attaching additional radiators and other junk later, but after playing around with some external fans of similar size and a few tablet stands from Asus, I managed to keep the GPU room temp while playing Witcher 3 maxed out for several hours.
    The only bad news is that I won't get the things I need (including the new laptop cooler I ordered) for another week. Until then, I'll continue to prop open the case with these tablet stands while in action and apply external fans. Hopefully, with any luck, the rack should be sturdy as hell and support the computer, while still looking decent.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GoHack's Avatar

I just had my case open, in order to add a second SSD, and noticed that the ducting in the case cover, for providing the cooling air, is shared by both the two CPU cooling fans, as well as the GPU fan. The air for both comes in from the bottom of the case cover. I'm not so sure that ducted design can provide enough air for both, especially w/a high end video card like the 980 TI. I'm seriously thinking about drilling some holes myself. I'm thinking about laying out some masking tape, and drawing out a neat pattern, then drilling using 1/4" holes. I'm presently measuring the temperature of my GPU under Full load, which is running at around 83 F, in order to see if it later did any good.
    - Asus ROG G20AJ, Intel i5-4460 CPU, Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3L, 2x Corsair 128GB SSD's (RAID 0), Nvidia Geforce GTX 670, 180W and 230W Power Supply Bricks, Acer GN246HL 24" Monitor, Windows 10 (x64)

- Alienware Aurora R4, Intel i7-4820K, 20GB DDR3, 2 TB HD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, Windows 10 (x64)

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array a100 PC Specs
    a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    ProcessorIntel i7-4790 3.6GHZ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX980Ti Reference OC`d GPU: +210MHZ - Memory: +300MHZ
    Sound CardOn board
    MonitorBenQ XL2430T Gaming LED Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung Evo Pro 850 512G SSD
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus
    OS Win 8.1 Core Single Language
    Accessory #1 Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by erix_jansen@hotmail.com View Post
    Just one thing, apart from congrats!
    To warn people: Your advise on incrementing GPU core clocks etc, are for a Reference card. I got a Strix Ti, and I would not add 200 on top! LOL

I am getting 17.100 Firestrike scores with OC'ed Strix Ti (100 mhz added). And yes, now Asus GPUTweak 2 seems a nice tool.
    Thats one of the best cards out there, not only cooled with special heatsinks and fans, but also has some different kinda power and chipset modifications made by ASUS. go on asus.com read about the modification asus done to that card, its amazing.

With my own reference 980ti overclocked I get 15.099

ROG Member Array

Well, my file adjustable file organizer thing didn't work out. Darn.

I'm really at a loss with what to do, as I just can't figure out how to make the case stand up. No matter how many times I measure the left side of the case, I can't make anything out of wood to prop it up. It seems to have a slant to it, almost, which makes every attempt to stand it up fail.
    As of right now, I have the G20 sitting on top of the cooling pad, with both fans running at maximum. I can feel the air flow from where I'm sitting. Still, though, the inside of the computer gets so stuffy playing Witcher 3 at max settings, I don't think this is going to cut it at all. Still, as of right now, with the case closed, I had an average temperature of like 55, with both cooling pad fans on max. It climbs to 60 when playing a basic game and only climbs to 70 when I'm playing a game like Witcher 3. It's all uphill from there, though. This cooling pad does wonders, but I'm starting to think it won't be enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast