cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS OEM Unit, TAMPERED with. GPU: broken brackets, missing screws. WOW ASUS!

The_Conscript
Level 7
Finally opened up my unit. It's caused nothing but headaches. Overheating issues, major graphical errors. I cannot exact an RMA return because I need my PC on a daily basis to work and study. I'm on my own and I'm in high-school.

Removed GPU from unit. No backplate, normal. I flip it over, and there is industrial adhesive tape holding together the circuit board to the shroud. The tape covers up a broken rivet. I only have 5 of 6 screws it seems holding the panel behind the internal centrifugal fan. A spring from I don't know has fallen out (turned it counter clockwise through the fins on the display ports panel). Best of all, there appears to be a screw bit inside. Run so forensics on it. Technician's? I had my doubts before, I'm absolutely sure now that my unit is tampered with. I purchase my G20AJ Unit advertised as Brand New. Not refurbished. For months I've been diagnosing someone else's screw up. I can produce months of questions on multiple forums!

I expected pristine product from a prestigious company. Unprecedented negligence! WOW ASUS! First Gaming PC. Probably my last. WOW!
10 REPLIES 10

toronto699
Level 13
Where u bouht it so we all can avoid that seller please

The_Conscript
Level 7
FutureShop. Never shopped at FutureShop before. But it was the only retailer locally with the G20. Never again. NCIX all the way. Hopefully ASUS provides a brand new unit. Not a refurbished unit and not state the fact. Consumer Act, I get express guarantee of advertised product in acceptable quality. Regardless of retailer and warranties.

The Conscript wrote:
FutureShop. Never shopped at FutureShop before. But it was the only retailer locally with the G20. Never again. NCIX all the way. Hopefully ASUS provides a brand new unit. Not a refurbished unit and not state the fact. Consumer Act, I get express guarantee of advertised product in acceptable quality. Regardless of retailer and warranties.

Sorry but this has nothing to do with Asus and everything to do with Futureshop, it sure sounds like they resealed it and sold a previously sold unit as new, not a surprise considering their US partner in crime Best Buy is known for the same behavior

a100
Level 8
Hey man, understand your frustration but this is all retailer`s fault. I got my G20AJ which was a BH005S version, healthy and flawless. Opened it up 4 times for some upgrades never noticed any issues.

Hope you can sort this out. Anything we can do to help?

The_Conscript
Level 7
Sure, thanks a100. If anyone can verify, the Ram used in the G20 is: Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module SODIMM, 204 pin? Maximum frequency the H97 can run is 1600 Megahertz? I'm interested in G Skill RipJaw Dual Kit 2x8gb 204 Pin SODIMM laptop Ram. Linus from NCIX recommended it in a video 😄

I ask because there have been people saying 204 others saying 240 pin.

a100
Level 8
Those 2 dual laptop rams I`m sure of.

I checked 3dmark results on my G20 saying 2 slot of 8G 800MHZ ramz.

Can anyone verify the question The Conscript asked above?

-What is the maximum potential in terms of MHZ clock of the ram that H97 accepts?
-What is the pin measure? 204 or 240?

And my personal question is, what difference does it make if we upgrade our 800 MHZ rams to 1600 MHZ? How can see or feel the difference practically?

The_Conscript
Level 7
G20 comes with Samsung 8gb ddr3 so dimm (small Outline laptop ram) I'm 99% sure. It is single channel. It can be found in the following link. It's 204 pin.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/samsung-8gb-pc3l-12800-unbuffered-204-pin-so-dimm/M471B1G73QH0-YK0

I believe the H97 supports a maximum of ddr3 1600Mhz module. 11 Cas latency. Dual channel. 1.35v.

Ddr2 800Mhz vs ddr3 1600Mhz, About two fps difference. I'm pretty sure you can't have a motherboard supporting both ddr2 and ddr3.

a100
Level 8
Hey tnx for the info.

Just few minutes ago hopped into the BIOS settings, there it shows my DDR3 16GB ram has the clock speed of 1600MHZ so I`m good.

The_Conscript
Level 7
Interesting update: I provided the serial / sin number for my unit and indeed I was told that my unit in fact has known hardware issues. I believe ASUS is indeed responsible. How else would ASUS have logs of known hardware issues in my unit? They must have sold my unit with garbage quality components knowingly.

I quote "... according to the sn , it's not a refurbished product.
But it has hardware issues in the unit ."