cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got G20CB, and 2 questions:

admo
Level 7
Got the i7, witht he GTX 970 and 16GB ram, but which video port do I use for my monitor? There is a single dvi port on one side, and then a slew of dispalyPorts and hdmi ports on the other. Plus there is a lone HDMI port in a seemingly random part of the case. I actually have every kind of video cable under the sun, I'm just wondering why the seperation between the dvi and the others.

Also, I am thinking of adding an SSD to this. Seems a bit of a pain to make an SSD the primary drive, and this is not my main computer. So I am thinking of leaving the HDD as primary with the os and such, and use a 256GB SSD solely for game installs (right now TF2, NGSV and soon Fallout4. I have a g750 laptop with a SSD and love the snappiness of the OS as it is on the SSD, but am willing to forgo that if my games will still be amazing. Thoughts on having OS and most apps on HDD and games on SSD, it being much easier to do, or worth the trouble to try and get an SSD to have as my primary.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

a100
Level 8
Sup 🙂 congrats for the new rig.

I personally had the same doubt whether to choose HDMI or DVI.

When I had my monitor on DVI I could have fast video response with highest quality. For instance whenever I ALT+TAB to windows while you are playing a heavy game like Far Cry 4 at Ultra, it quickly jumps into the desktop and by clicking the game tab again quickly back to the game, no display flashing or blackout. but when I used HDMI is was considerably slower and quality looked different to me.

Remember if you have a monitor with Speaker and Microphone ports and would like to use them, you need to use HDMI because its the port able to carry both Audio and Video.

I personally prefer DVI.

There are many topics about HDD upgrade on G20 I suggest you read them before you decide.

TwoZeroNine
Level 7
admo wrote:
Got the i7, witht he GTX 970 and 16GB ram, but which video port do I use for my monitor? There is a single dvi port on one side, and then a slew of dispalyPorts and hdmi ports on the other. Plus there is a lone HDMI port in a seemingly random part of the case. I actually have every kind of video cable under the sun, I'm just wondering why the seperation between the dvi and the others.

Also, I am thinking of adding an SSD to this. Seems a bit of a pain to make an SSD the primary drive, and this is not my main computer. So I am thinking of leaving the HDD as primary with the os and such, and use a 256GB SSD solely for game installs (right now TF2, NGSV and soon Fallout4. I have a g750 laptop with a SSD and love the snappiness of the OS as it is on the SSD, but am willing to forgo that if my games will still be amazing. Thoughts on having OS and most apps on HDD and games on SSD, it being much easier to do, or worth the trouble to try and get an SSD to have as my primary.

Thanks!

Where did you get this Model? I can't find it anywhere. lol

TwoZeroNine wrote:
Where did you get this Model? I can't find it anywhere. lol

You can get this model at bestbuy.

wherrera
Level 7
See pages 13-15 here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desktop/G20CB/E10436_G20CB_Guide_Win10_web.pdf

admo wrote:

Thanks!