cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G750JZ outperformed by lower end laptops(?)

dne0gen
Level 7
Hi !
I own an ASUS ROG G750 JZ and recently I did some tests with a couple of friends, because I thought games performed worse than they should.
Tests were made with League of Legends. My friends have another laptop with a lower processor and video card (nvidia 755m), other one with an nvidia 840m.
So we had the abolutely same settings and background processes running and they had at least 100 fps above what I had.
Windows was recently reinstalled, latest drivers, optimized settings for each game (trough nvidia control panel ( single display, max performance, etc.)), high performance 100% when plugged in, Asus gpu tweak (5% OC).
Could this be a faulty GPU or will I waste my time if I take it back to the seller?
6 REPLIES 6

Dcite
Level 7
If it's like my G750JH (780m) it should be vastly out performing them...

Having said that, have you tried getting something like CPUID's HWMonitor which can tell you the Utilization of your GPU and CPU along with other generic measures such as temperature.

It sounds more like you are running on intel only and the Optimus is being it's rather picky self as usual.

You might have to try to find "league of legends.exe" and add that tot he Nvidia control panel as something which runs on the dedicated graphics instead of the built in intel which you are likely using.

The monitoring program I suggested should at least let you know if you are using the nvidia card heavily or not based on temperature.

dne0gen
Level 7
Games are using the nVidia GPU and like I said I have made all the settings in the nvidia control panel so games would run ever better, but obviously tey don't... The laptop is not overheating, not even heating for that matter...

unclewebb
Level 10
For various reasons, some CPUs can start throttling and will end up running at a fraction of their rated speed. This can be heat related but it can also be power related. Have you tried running ThrottleStop?

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDNXlJVzdsSHh6a3c

Check off the Log File option, go play a game for a while (15 minutes), exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop. Have a look in the ThrottleStop folder for a sub folder called Logs and then look in that folder for the log file. Open it up and copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link here so I can have a look. It would be best to turn on GPU monitoring in the ThrottleStop Options window before you start logging so your GPU temperture is included in the log file.

This program has fixed a lot of under performing laptops. When you are having problems like this, it is either the CPU or the GPU or sometimes CPU throttling can cause the GPU to slow down. When finished testing the CPU, try using GPU-Z to log performance information about the GPU when gaming.

In ThrottleStop, make sure BD PROCHOT is disabled. Don't let the 101 features scare you off. Just learning about a handful of options can make a big difference.

dne0gen
Level 7
www.pastebin.com/fyT0M9TX
This is what I got after more than 15 minutes of playing + skype running and voice chatting which shouldn't be an issue as I normally use it.
I didn't turn the game off before turning the program off however if its an issue I will next time.

unclewebb
Level 10
Your log file data is fine. It shows that your CPU is running exactly as it should be. The game you are playing is mostly single threaded so your CPU is having no trouble running it at full speed.

Time to log your GPU performance to see if there is a problem there. Have a look in the GPU-Z log file at the MHz to make sure the GPU is running near its rated speed.

If you want, you can use ThrottleStop to overclock your CPU. The FIVR window should look something like this when you are done.

http://i.imgur.com/YCAAXgB.png

Your CPU is not the problem in this game so overclocking it should not make any noticeable difference but perhaps some other game might benefit from this tweak.

Wr3ckloose
Level 7
more than likely, your computer is broken somewhere. these rog computers are crap and even i had to take my first one back and exchange it. why is do i say something is broken even though you may think its not? because mine runs every game i play on max or almost max settings with out a problem whatsoever with a high fps count 60 or higher.