cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 980 Ti - i can hear small rattle only with side panel opened.

or45
Level 7
Hello. So first. My case is very old: Cooler Master Centurion 590. Graphic card is Asus Strix 980 Ti.

My side panel case is open. And i am sitting 30 cm near my pc case. With this GPU only on fan speed 45% (from 1300 rpm to 1450 rpm ) i have a very small rattle noise. I must close my ear to card to hear this.

But when i close my side panel of case i cant hear that small rattle. It can be reason to rma if i am hearing this only with opened case and sitting near pc case?

ps:
My case is open due to get better temperatures.

Thx for suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11

Ghoster
Level 7
I just discovered the same noise in my asus 980ti strix oc

it's really annoying, i did some testing and in my gpu seems to be around the first fan
the one next to where you connect monitor on the back. However it's really hard to figure it out.
If I manually change the fan speed from any speed to like 58% the noise appears there for a little time.

I don't see the fan touching anything. I can reproduce this anytime by manually changing the fan speed
from low to high in gpu tweak II.

Is this a design flaw?

I see many people having the same problem in this forum and other forums.
yet there is not a good answer of to what can it be.

Does asus people respond or help out in this forum?

Ghoster wrote:
I just discovered the same noise in my asus 980ti strix oc

it's really annoying, i did some testing and in my gpu seems to be around the first fan
the one next to where you connect monitor on the back. However it's really hard to figure it out.
If I manually change the fan speed from any speed to like 58% the noise appears there for a little time.

I don't see the fan touching anything. I can reproduce this anytime by manually changing the fan speed
from low to high in gpu tweak II.

Is this a design flaw?

I see many people having the same problem in this forum and other forums.
yet there is not a good answer of to what can it be.

Does asus people respond or help out in this forum?

can you record that noise?

Unfortunately I can't do it for now.

Also it's not something easy to spot. I think that maybe a lot people
have the same noise but doesn't know it. if the fans are on high , that
covers the noise up, hence a lot people haven't notice it.

it's just a small rattle when fan/fans change speed and in my case "sometimes" goes away.
the noise sounds like if the fan is hitting a cable a bit. But of course that is not the case.
Maybe is another component inside or near the heat sink or heat sink/air moving?

I started to think that it maybe a design flaw, as the heat sink on that part
is a bit shaky like = move a bit too much for my liking when touched.

while the noise is fan related, I can't be 100% sure is the fan itself. If you gently touch
the fan while noise is going, the noise change a bit, but doesn't seem to be the fan itself at all.
I am not sure. it's complicated.

We need knowledgeable people that can pin point the problem exactly.

I don't want to send my $700 bucks card to Asus, so they can send me back a refurbished one.

yes i have the same noise issue like you described.

it's just a small rattle when fan/fans change speed and it sometimes goes away.

Maybe its a design flaw? Maybe like you said, a lot people
have the same noise but doesn't know it.

ps:

I bought my card month ago.

I am doing some more testing right now.

I discovered that the noise is present starting at 54% fan
then I gradually increased the fan speed 1% at the time.

the noise/rattle was there all the way to 67% fan.

after that I couldn't really heard it much or fans gets louder than the noise.

I think now is the fan bearing at only certain speed.

If Asus would of send new cards for 1 month old gpus/ problem exchange, I would do it.

But changing this for a refurbished one is not really something I want to do.

There is a very small rattle noise ( to hear this i must put my ears close to card ) that occurs while changing RPM to faster or slower. After few minutes when i am in game, it's not a problem because it's usually locked at relatively high RPM.

That is exactly the case. I found out is coming from the first fan = the one at the back where you connect your monitor.

what worries me is that I see a lot threads in this forum about it and I see in other forums, but no-one have really investigate
this deep. People with the card should open their cases and check various fan speed.

can you check to see if it's coming from the same fan/place as me?

The fan where the sli connection is located.

So i think its coming from middle fan. Like i said it only rattles when i launch a game and fans are ramping up. ( on 1350 rpm - 1500 rpm ).
( to hear this i must put my ears close to card ).
But when i close my side panel of case i cant hear that small rattle.

Above or before that speed is ok and quiet.

Ghoster
Level 7
Yes, is the same situation here.
the noise is only exactly from 54% fan all the way to like 67%
after that at 70% the fans are too loud to heard the noise.

So my computer sound like if I have few velociraptors hard drives in it working hard.
but I only have ssds hard drives in there.

So I guess is the fan bearing going dead soon.