cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to restore file from your back up? g751jt

ghunter323
Level 7
hi. need help guys. I know its a noob question but may I know how can I restore my backup from an external drive?
a repair guy told me that I need to boot from my external drive inorder to restore my files from my backup but I do not know how to boot from my external drive. thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Gps3dx
Level 12
You have to elaborate more tech details here, if you wish to get help.
are you talking about the asus BackTracker, i.e asus's OS backup app ?
cause there are like 10K backup imaging apps in the market.

if i'm not mistaken, you can run BackTracker and create multiple DVD ( size like 15GB ) backup with it, but in the end it is just like an iso image file, so you can always copy them to where ever you want, bootable usb included.

Please connect this external disk to any computer, how does these files looks like ?
do you see: boot, EFI, en-us, Recovery, RecoveryImage, etc FOLDERS ?
if so, you can create a bootable USB ( note the total size of the total files ! ) just like you create windows bootable installation USB.
You can read in the following links how to create such a USB: ONE OPTION, another OPTION, another OPTION.
The only difference is that you pick your backtrack backup folder/iso/image file and NOT windows iso file when you create this booable usb.

Also, as I know asus made "wonderful job" as they release a "monster" laptop with it pre-installed windows on an mbr formatted disk runing on "legacy bios" -> you can create this bootable USB formatted as fat32 or NTFS (faster files copy to the usb with ntfs).
The important thing to note is when you LOAD the bootable USB, after it is ready for installation, using the boot-selection menu ( press ESC during POST, i.e just after laptop power on ) you MUST NOT select uefi:xxxxxxxxx ( x's is the usb name ) but either xxxxxxxxxx instead.

Also, you MUST set the CSM option in the bios to be enabled, beforehand, otherwise you'll just get UEFI:xxxxxx options in the boot-selection menu.

Now, for your own sake, please READ THE STICKY THREAD: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)
so you'll be able to understand that using the pre-installed windows you got from asus is NOT A GOOD THING TO HAVE ON A FERRARI OF A LAPTOP !!!
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]