cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about replacing Optical Drive on g750 series

MaxCioco
Level 7
My dvd/rw died on me a few days ago and the "asus" guys (only asus official partner in Romania - not the actual asus) told me that it will take up to 30 days to deliver a new one, and if I choose to do it under warranty I need to wait at least 2 weeks for after those 30 days; if I choose to buy a new unit from them it's 65euro+24%vat(my country's percentage)~= 80euro which is A LOT for a *beep* dvd/rw - I can buy 3 external asus dvd/rw for that money.

So, I wanna give up warranty and buy a new dvd/rw from other retailers, that sell standard asus dvd/rw's but not for rog units - price is 25euro all taxes included (minus shipping). And it's not rocket science taking down the plastic on the outer side that is specific to my laptop (and all other rogs).

My question is, do rog series (g750jm here) have a special type of units? Or ar they just the standard asus ones?
I'm asking because the optical unit in my other older asus laptop is just the same and it fits and works - but I am asking myself what if it's not a perfect match and it will cause problems in the long term.

+ if anyone here from asus, can you tell me why do I have to lose warranty if I change the optic unit myself with another original asus one? Not to mentin that the guys from here consider the warranty void even if you take off the back place where the hdds stand. - thing they missed to tell me when they shipped me he uber overpriced hdd bracket, knowing that I was going to install a ssd.
2 REPLIES 2

toronto699
Level 13
here look at this , this is the drive I would buy
http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/asus-g750j-disassembly/
or look up the mentioned Optical drive specs and buy one with the same measurements
if the optical drive from othe laptop fits and works there is no harm to the g750

navis995
Level 11
You can go on ebay and type in g750 optical drive and any will fit.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD