cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM - low Random Write IOPS on SSD

iloveme
Level 7
Hello all,

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G750JM
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education
OS Version: 10.0.10240 N/A Build 10240

I've noticed that my G750JM ( running WIndows 10 ) with Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB has quite a low Random Write IOPS ( around 15 k ) and Sequential Write. I remember I had quite a better speed on Windows 8.1 . My OS install was fresh , I did not upgrade .

I'm using the latest Samsung Magician -> all recommended settings for maximum performance & have disabled system restore . There are no errors reported on my SSD , so I think it might be related to the Storage controller ( which is the Microsoft Storage Spaces controller - default one )

I've installed Intel chipset , nothing changes.

Do you have any ideeas / suggestions ?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3

installer
Level 8
Did you perhaps have dram caching turned on before?
G750JW-T4041H | i7-4700HQ | 1 x 1TB Crucial M550 SSD | 2 x Samsung 2TB HDD | 32GB Crucial Ram.

hi and 10x for the reply. No , I did not have anything like that. I'm sure if I enable rapid mode I will see a huge increase, however first I want to see what might be the issue .

-> I've uninstalled my antivirus
-> I have reserved 10% of free space as Samsung recommends ( and beside that , I have around 100 GB of free space )
-> I'm on SATA 3

All that I can think of are in best practices , yet I have under 300 MB write and 15k IOPS . I really do not expect to hit those 500 MB and 90 K IOPS as I know I do not need them , however there is a HUGE difference , so something somewhere is wrong ...

Fixed it. Just in case someone else gets here , I had 2 backup programs installed , with all kinds of features. I assume one of them had a driver or something for remembering changed blocks , which had the outcome that you see in the initial printscreen .

After uninstalling them, speed is as expected 🙂