cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC shutdown itself on its first time boot

RAJVJ90
Level 7
Hey Guys! This is my first post on ROG.

Well I recently build my new PC a month before with all new components and encountering this issue recently from last week I guess. When I turn on my PC the first time after long hours (for eg: over a night) its turning on with usual beep sound and cpu and case fans are spinning and its shutting down after 2-3 seconds showing "No Signal" on my monitor. I figured out to see if mobo has power, but its completely shut off with no lights on my mobo or case. When I press the power button for the second time, everything loads up normally and i can get ASUS post screen and able to login windows and work, play and anything i need without any issues (No crash, freeze, program not responding or nothing). Also the PC can able to shutdown properly without any issues. The wonder here is when I instantly tried to power on the PC once its completely shutdown, its powering on with POST and working normally on the first press of power button. I guess the issue here is only with the longtime cold boot. I have read threads here and saw some users had similar issue (but not exact issue I'm facing) and I'm pretty not sure about the issue in my scenario. I'm on full stock mode without OC nor tweaked any settings in BIOS and TPU, XMP disabled in mobo. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

PC Specs:
Asus Z97 - A
Intel i5 4670K @ 3.4 GHz
CPU Cooler - Intel Stock
GSKILL 2GB DDR3 1x2 GB @ 1333 MHz
Toshiba 2.5" 500 GB HDD
AOC LED Backlit LCD E970SWNL Monitor ( 18.5 inch)
Cooler Master K380 Mid Case
Corsair VS 450W
APC BE800-IND UPS
Windows 10 Pro X64
10 REPLIES 10

DamianStr
Level 8
Do you have updated the bios and load default settings

DamianStr wrote:
Do you have updated the bios and load default settings

Hey Damian! Thanks for the reply! No, I haven't updated the bios.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Are you switching off the PSU or unplugging it from the socket when you shutdown for extended periods of time?

Are you using a UPS battery backup unit?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Are you switching off the PSU or unplugging it from the socket when you shutdown for extended periods of time?

Are you using a UPS battery backup unit?

Hi Nemesis! Yes I'm using UPS battery backup unit. I will not turn off PSU switch. It will always remains ON. My shutdown process is as follows WARM SHUTDOWN > AFTER PROPER SHUTDOWN> SWITCH OFF UPS SWITCH > FINALLY SWITCH OFF UPS POWER SOCKET. While turning on my PC after long hours I usually turn on UPS power socket first and then press UPS ON button. The UPS will take few seconds to initialize with blinking orange led indication after initialize it will turn on to green. Then turning on PC with power button.

NemesisChild
Level 12
It might be related to your UPS unit.
Bypass the UPS for now, plug your PSU directly into the electrical outlet.
Now test your system with short term and extended shutdowns.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

This make sense. I too guess the issue was happening from the day I started using UPS last week. I will try bypassing it and let you know. Right now I'm far away from my home. Please excuse late response. Thanks dude!

Hi, I tried bypassing the UPS and the issue was still there. It's happening randomly. I analyzed the PC and here is what I found, The issue happens randomly only on cold boot. On the issue case MOBO POST state LED passes the CPU_LED, DRAM_LED,VGA_LED and stays lit up on BOOT_DEVICE_LED and after 1-2 secs the PC powering off suddenly. On the next try its passing all the POST state LED's successfully and booting windows. But it fails to start up after several try (I was shutting down from the login screen and tried turning on the PC again via power button). This issue was never happening when i tried restarting the PC from the login screen. Its restarting just fine and booting windows perfectly again. So what might be the issue on my case. Please advice.

RAJVJ90
Level 7
Can someone please help me get rid of the issue. Thanks much!

Update your bios to the latest version and make sure all of your drivers are up to date.

On brand new builds (no operating system, no drivers, outdated bios) it is relatively common for the computer to turn on for ~2-3 seconds, turn off for ~2-3 seconds, and then boot normally.

Your problem sounds somewhat similar. Once you have an operating system installed, the latest bios, and your latest drivers the problem should go away.