cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Extreme & AMD 7970

gohanrice0
Level 7
Anyone else try running a 7970 on the Maximus VIII Extreme? I've tried, but to no success. I have a pair of them that I ran in Crossfire on my last setup, but neither of them seem to work in either the 1st nor 3rd slots. Nothing is wrong with the motherboard nor the cards as far as know; they have both been updated to the latest versions - BIOS 907 for the Extreme and 015.021.000.003.001364 for the 7970s (which I did not realize could be upgraded to the GHz edition until I updated). The GPUs work just fine on my old system separately and Crossfired together. My old 5850 and my friend's GTX 780 both work in both slots on the Extreme, so I'm confident the PCI-E slots are not DOA. The system just does not display anything on any of the cards' outputs, but it boots just fine: I can blindly enter my username/password for Windows and it loads just fine (I have a Logitech G13 that loads apps only when the OS loads up). Power is not an issue - Corsair 1000HXi. I can see the fan spinning on both cards. Code is bF, but that's there even with the other graphics cards.

I'm currently running the 5850 and it's on its last legs. It also doesn't do well with my monitor setup anyway. Anyone have any ideas? Some weird incompatibility with the 7970s?
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15

Yep, didn't work.

DamianStr
Level 8
There is a button on the moeder board to switch to crossfire & Sli
And have you try to use one card

Yes, I've tried using each card individually in each slot, no dice.

Chino
Level 15
Go to the Advanced tab in the BIOS. Navigate to the Graphics Configuration section. Then set your PCIe lanes to Gen3 to test. If that doesn't work, try Gen2.

Nope, didn't work. Even tried Gen1. Tried a few more graphics cards and they all work with the Auto settings. Only these 7970s paired with this board refuse to cooperate it seems.

Chino
Level 15
Can you list your complete system specifications for me? Please include the model of your monitor/TV and indicate which video output you're using to connect your system to it.

Intel i7 6700k, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 2666, Corsair 1000HXi. Monitors - Tried on both a Dell 3008WFP with DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort and a Dell 3007WFP-HC with DVI-D. The 3007 doesn't have a scaler. Integrated HDMI works just fine. Both monitors work fine off of all outputs with other graphics cards on the same system and with the 7970s on other systems.

Edit: Here's everything: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/p3HHHx The monitor is different because they don't have entries for mine.