cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any problems to use GL551JW-DS71 for DJing?

nxgn1
Level 7
Hey guys and gals. I just purchased this computer from Amazon "ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71". I'm a professional wedding DJ and I was wondering if anyone has any idea if this will work well for doing that. I would be DJing with audio and video files. I have an older ASUS that runs my programs fine thus my reason for buying another ASUS. Now I'm getting worried about heat causing drop outs in my audio and video files. Can anyone tell me if I will have any problems with this system.
6 REPLIES 6

Corporal
Level 9
I don't think your audience will be sober enough to notice the tiny dropouts 😉
Now, I don't know about the onboard soundcard in GL551JW, but buying external soundcard like Asus Xonar U7 will eliminate any possible problems you might have.

Edweird
Level 10
Audio hardware's gonna be more important than the PC it's connected to more times than not.
Audio processing is barely any challenge for modern processing hardware that goes into computers.

Don't think anyone's overheated their laptop with audio work, there just isn't enough load to do that.
Professional wedding DJ (to me) means stuff like sending out greetings and such out to a video wall and things like Karaoke - I can guarantee any modern laptop of this type can handle those tasks well.

For me I use the Pioneer DJM 5000 mixer which I connect to my computer via USB to the mixer. The mixer has two USB to mixer connections. Using ASIO drivers, for one of my computers its never been a problem. With the other a newer much more powerful ASUS but about 4 years old. Heat has been a problem causing audio drop outs which make it though fairly unusable for me . I dont care if they notice it or not. I noitce and thats enough for me. I'm just wanting to make sure that spending 1000 dollars on a laptop that has these specs should make it where I have no problems.

nxgn1 wrote:
For me I use the Pioneer DJM 5000 mixer which I connect to my computer via USB to the mixer. The mixer has two USB to mixer connections. Using ASIO drivers, for one of my computers its never been a problem. With the other a newer much more powerful ASUS but about 4 years old. Heat has been a problem causing audio drop outs which make it though fairly unusable for me . I dont care if they notice it or not. I noitce and thats enough for me. I'm just wanting to make sure that spending 1000 dollars on a laptop that has these specs should make it where I have no problems.

I'm guessing that 'wedding DJ' includes outdoor work, which is probably the only place you might experience heating issues. Nonetheless, I have doubts the laptop will overheat to the point it would cause audio problems, and you may be having an altogether different issue - bloatware, drivers, etc.

Certainly, I would utilize a laptop riser to put some space between the bottom of the laptop and the resting surface, and keep the laptop out of direct sunlight. But, look into other possibilities than heat.

Z

NOTE: As Corporal suggested, run latencymon or something like it.

Edweird
Level 10
Heat should only be an issue if you have never cleaned the laptop fan out in those 4 years. I had to clean my now-4-year-old ASUS out every 6 months else the fan got clogged and temps went up 10 degrees.

Corporal
Level 9
try this

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

See if there's a particular driver that's causing the latency. It seems very unlikely to me that even a laptop with a clogged fan has audio dropouts. Maybe there's a program causing 100% CPU usage.