cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some questions about G20.

TwoZeroNine
Level 7
Hello, everyone. I'm TwoZeroNine..I have a question regarding the ASUS ROG G20AJ/Variants.

I have seen different configs from xoticpc. They sell the ASUS ROG G20 with up to a GTX 980 with the 230W and 180W Power Bricks. Would this be enough to power the entire computer with the 980 installed?

Another question I have is I saw a few reviews on multiple websites saying that the system would crash/shutdown after only 15 minutes of playing a game because of overheating (GTX 760 Version). I would LOVE to have this system as I don't have the time or patience to build my own PC. So with a GTX 980 or 970 installed would the system still overheat and crash?

Last but not least, where can I buy a G20 GTX 970 Variant? (Besides XoticPC)

Thanks, TwoZeroNine.
17 REPLIES 17

Korth
Level 14
Reference GTX980 cards are rated 165W and NVidia recommends a 500W+ PSU. The 230W brick should be enough to power up the full system but it seems very borderline to me, it will throttle performance when multiple components want peak load. It definitely won't give you any overclocking headroom.

The G20 platform looks like an efficient cooling design, it's also received tons of awards and glowing reviews about how cleverly Asus arranged things. But remember that it's designed to be an all-in-one consumer appliance and it's constrained by costs and by smallish form factor. I can see how a high-end GPU would overheat because the ducted chassis can't pull out all the heat under sustained load, so I can see how a higher-end GPU will end up throttling and stuttering when things get really hot and heavy in your game. Reference GTX760 cards are rated 170W and NVidia recommends a 500W+ PSU.

To be honest, I think a G20 is not a great deal. You can buy yourself a pre-built PC with an Asus motherboard, GTX 980, and real PSU instead - you'd get better gaming performance and not be locked into a costly and limited upgrade path. Better yet, you could build your own system and get a lot more hardware for the same price, or spend less to put together the same hardware, or even get yourself a ROG laptop.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Reference GTX980 cards are rated 165W and NVidia recommends a 500W+ PSU. The 230W brick should be enough to power up the full system but it seems very borderline to me, it will throttle performance when multiple components want peak load. It definitely won't give you any overclocking headroom.

The G20 platform looks like an efficient cooling design, it's also received tons of awards and glowing reviews about how cleverly Asus arranged things. But remember that it's designed to be an all-in-one consumer appliance and it's constrained by costs and by smallish form factor. I can see how a high-end GPU would overheat because the ducted chassis can't pull out all the heat under sustained load, so I can see how a higher-end GPU will end up throttling and stuttering when things get really hot and heavy in your game. Reference GTX760 cards are rated 170W and NVidia recommends a 500W+ PSU.

To be honest, I think a G20 is not a great deal. You can buy yourself a pre-built PC with an Asus motherboard, GTX 980, and real PSU instead - you'd get better gaming performance and not be locked into a costly and limited upgrade path. Better yet, you could build your own system and get a lot more hardware for the same price, or spend less to put together the same hardware, or even get yourself a ROG laptop.

What about this reference GTX 970? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-silver-bl...

The power required for the GPU itself is only 145W, where the 240W Power Brick would supply the power and the other brick for the rest of the machine.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

Korth
Level 14
NVidia specs for reference GTX970 still recommend a minimum 500W PSU. The card is rated 145W but can draw 225W from the PCIe slot and two 6-pin power connectors.

(Incidentally, many GTX900 reference cards use NVTTM coolers which were designed for 250W Titan cards and can thus overvolt and overclock quite well - but not with a wimpy 230W PSU which has to also power the rest of the system.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
NVidia specs for reference GTX970 still recommend a minimum 500W PSU. The card is rated 145W but can draw 225W from the PCIe slot and two 6-pin power connectors.

(Incidentally, many GTX900 reference cards use NVTTM coolers which were designed for 250W Titan cards and can thus overvolt and overclock quite well - but not with a wimpy 230W PSU which has to also power the rest of the system.)

Well, I've read several people on here using up to a GTX 980 with no problems, although most users go with GTX 970.

So is it an absolute no go?

Korth
Level 14
I'm not a G20 owner. Because I would never buy one.

But as you say, many people seem happy with their G20 systems. And a few complain about issues which concern you. Best to google up some reviews (from non-Asus sites) to see what people have to say about G20.

It is a clever design and it has won all sorts of commendations, but it's also proprietary and looks very difficult to upgrade (so it will become obsolete quicker). Judging a computer's capacities by it's power supply (as I often do) is not always an accurate measure of the system's worth.

[/Korth]

Well, I appreciate your input. I think a G20 would definitely be an upgrade from what I am currently running.

AMD FX-6300 3.5Ghz
ASUS GTX 750Ti 2GB OC
8GB DDR3 RAM

Korth wrote:
I'm not a G20 owner. Because I would never buy one.

But as you say, many people seem happy with their G20 systems. And a few complain about issues which concern you. Best to google up some reviews (from non-Asus sites) to see what people have to say about G20.

It is a clever design and it has won all sorts of commendations, but it's also proprietary and looks very difficult to upgrade (so it will become obsolete quicker). Judging a computer's capacities by it's power supply (as I often do) is not always an accurate measure of the system's worth.

That rig you have is crazy 🙂 G20 is for gamers, what you have is a space shuttle lol. Wish I had the time and access to assemble such rig, but for now have to go with my G20 which actually never says no to anything.

I`m a G20 owner and I do confirm your inputs.

TwoZeroNine , if money is not an issue for you, Upgrade the GPU to GTX980Ti, and also take a look at what I said about Cooling down your G20. I`m sure you can get your hands on a 330W psu, so thats is the best thing you can do to feed your GTX980TI if you plan to get one.

Korth
Level 14
My home X99 system is really intended for work. I don't own the enterprise GPU or PCIe SSD components, I just get to keep them because they are required for maximal productivity - I run a lot of serious CAD and SPICE stuff which requires very heavy crunching to get results before the work day ends, lol.

But I'm not gonna let that hardware just sit there being wasted while I game. Using the Tesla as dedicated PhysX assures that no game title can ever dip fps below peak levels when things get hot and busy, lol.

[/Korth]