cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MATRIX GTX 980 SLI clock speed differences

Justinfo
Level 7
Hi

I am very new to SLI and top end gfx card .

I finally managed to get not 1 but 2 high end cards , so now I have 2 MATRIX GTX 980's running in SLI.

One thing I find strange is that one card is always hotter than the other one by 10 degrees even when Idle, before you think cooling or card spacing read on a bit further.

It seems to be the second cards clock speed never drops below 1000. Is this normal or correct ?
O how can i tell witch card it witch eg is the blue line the top or bottom card in my rig ?

I have included this screen shot so you can see temps and clock speeds.

** Update **

Hi , so after trying a lot of things I have found the problem .

My monitor is 144Hz monitor and when the refresh rate is set to 144 the card it is connected to can not drop the GPU Clock Mhz lower than 1000 . If I drop the refresh rate the core immediately starts to fall to match the other card.

So it would seem 144Hz makes the GPU do more work (witch is completely logical ) but I am surprised at just how much more work .

Hope this helps others .
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
It's normal for the primary GPU card to do a lot more work - and thus get a bit hotter - than the other card(s) in a multi-GPU setup.

And yes, card placement and spacing can make a big difference in an air-cooled system. Mainly because the "improved" coolers on your GPU cards will indeed cool off the cards a little better ... by pushing all the heat they can off the card and into the rest of the system. Your top card likely runs a little cooler because you have a rear exhaust fan right above it (which expels heat radiating off the backplate or spilling over the edges) while your bottom card might be caught in a dead-air or recirculation zone (so it has to rely entirely on cooling itself through the slot exhaust).

What mobo, proc, and SLI bridge are you using? You might need to change BIOS settings to activate (or balance out) all your PCIe lanes.

Not sure what that 1000MHz idle clock speed thing is about. It obviously seems to make that card run hotter. Maybe it's an NVidia driver issue, maybe even something odd with the MSI VBIOS. Did you run MSI Afterburner?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Chino
Level 15
In a SLI configuration, the primary GPU (top card) works harder. So it's normal that the top GPU is hotter than the one at the bottom.

Korth
Level 14
Are you running any overclocks, and if so are the speeds and voltages imbalanced?

How does it look when you swap the two cards around?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Justinfo
Level 7
Hi, so i have a asus hero maximus viii,i have not changed the cards stock settings at all. I am using the sli bridge that came with my motherboard.. I have not run msi msi after burner .

Korth
Level 14
x8/x8 SLI?

Again, how does it look if you swap the two cards around?

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
x8/x8 SLI?

Again, how does it look if you swap the two cards around?

Hi , ye it x8/x8 SLI .

I will try swap the cards around tonight if i get home at a reasonable time (just as a finish my pc build i work gets crazy).

Then let you guys know .

Thank you all for the help so far .

Nate152
Hey Justinfo

Nice setup, the Matrix is the top of the line gaming gpu from Asus. 🙂

It must be how the driver is coded, my first gpu throttles to 705MHz and the second and third are at 1084Mhz idling at the desktop, mine seem to be running like yours.

I have the latest Nvidia driver 358.87.

Justinfo
Level 7
Hi , so after trying a lot of things I have found the problem .

My monitor is 144Hz monitor and when the refresh rate is set to 144 the card it is connected to can not drop the GPU Clock Mhz lower than 1000 . If I drop the refresh rate the core immediately starts to fall to match the other card.

So it would seem 144Hz makes the GPU do more work (witch is completely logical ) but I am surprised at just how much more work .

Hope this helps others .