cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH 5870M/6970 Product Online?

HallisterM3
Level 7
Hey guys, I was surfing the web for a replacement to my 5870M to my G73JH because my computer black screened, and I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G73J-G73JH-ATI-5870M-1GB-Upgrade-AMD-6970M-2GB-Video-Card-Plug-and-Play...

I asked the guy if its a simple install, and he said "Yes its plug and play, compatible, without any changes" I then asked him if I have to update the BIOS and he said "You do not need to update BIOS". I've done my research on updating these old laptops with "newer" type cards but I do not understand this product. Is it really that good?! Can it be installed with little to no problems? If so please let me know, I'd love to purchase a nicer card for around the same price for a replacement.
9 REPLIES 9

ll_r1d0_ll
Level 7
HallisterM3 wrote:
Hey guys, I was surfing the web for a replacement to my 5870M to my G73JH because my computer black screened, and I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G73J-G73JH-ATI-5870M-1GB-Upgrade-AMD-6970M-2GB-Video-Card-Plug-and-Play...

I asked the guy if its a simple install, and he said "Yes its plug and play, compatible, without any changes" I then asked him if I have to update the BIOS and he said "You do not need to update BIOS". I've done my research on updating these old laptops with "newer" type cards but I do not understand this product. Is it really that good?! Can it be installed with little to no problems? If so please let me know, I'd love to purchase a nicer card for around the same price for a replacement.

yes it is plug and play card and does not requires any type of bios upgrade ! there are 2 screws on gpu only 1 will be fixed due to size difference but will work fine 🙂

Macadoo
Level 7
HallisterM3 wrote:

Just wondering if you went ahead with the upgrade and if it was as easy as it was advertised. i'm thinking of making the same purchase but I read that the 6970 is smaller than the stock 5870. Did you settle for a single mounting screw or did you mod the motherboard or card?
Thanks

Also, did you have the fans won't run on automatic with this card?

Macadoo wrote:
Just wondering if you went ahead with the upgrade and if it was as easy as it was advertised. i'm thinking of making the same purchase but I read that the 6970 is smaller than the stock 5870. Did you settle for a single mounting screw or did you mod the motherboard or card?
Thanks

I ended up not buying the card and finding a relatively "new" 5870 in China from AliExpress for just $88. I bought it two months ago and just got it in the mail a week ago.

Macadoo
Level 7
2 months?! I wish we would have talked earlier. I just bought a Clevo 6870 and would have let you have the 5870 for a good price. Mine is also coming from China but I hope it doesn't take 2 months. It has already shipped but I know it will be a couple weeks at least.
FWIW, the 6970 was NOT a good price. But I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound....or three. I know these are "old" technology but it's a huge jump up for me from my Core2.
I hope you're machine is up and running great, now.

Macadoo wrote:
2 months?! I wish we would have talked earlier. I just bought a Clevo 6870 and would have let you have the 5870 for a good price. Mine is also coming from China but I hope it doesn't take 2 months. It has already shipped but I know it will be a couple weeks at least.
FWIW, the 6970 was NOT a good price. But I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound....or three. I know these are "old" technology but it's a huge jump up for me from my Core2.
I hope you're machine is up and running great, now.

Unfortunately, my computer shop determined my motherboard and graphics card were both dead so I had to replace both. Motherboard ran about $140, GPU as stated above was $88. The labor is free though thankfully because he's taken so long to complete this task, its been two or three weeks now.

I did update a ton of parts of my G73JH, I got a 128gb Sandisk SSD, 2x 4gb Crucial DDR3 Ram Stick putting me at 12gb, Intel 7260 Wifi w/Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter/Card.

Macadoo
Level 7
Sorry to hear about your board. I had to replace mine as well. I paid $140 also, maybe we got them from the same eBay seller. It made a huge difference. I replaced mine myself with the help of Youtube and an egg carton for all the screws. I'll bet that SSD drive kicks that machine into gear. Now I want one! Lol.

You should get one just for the system files/OS. I got a 120gb Sandisk SSD off Amazon for $40 last week! Planning to purchase a 1TB Seagate/WD HDD to put all the big gaming files and what not files on since we have two HDD bays. Yeah I'm about 16hours into using it, updated tons of stuff but most importantly I updated my 2009 ATI Catalyst Control Center to the now current 2015.0804.21.41908 (as it states on CCC), photo for better understanding.54709

I can't begin to tell you how much this affects new games and such, it severely upped my FPS and its giving me confidence to play Star Citizen on medium settings...that's the main goal.

Macadoo
Level 7
I had no idea the prices were that good. I'll at least get one for my OS/system. My 500 gig isn't cutting it space-wise anyway.