cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G501 good for latest games?

Netherzapdos
Level 7
So, me and my dad found a new gaming laptop that will hopefully do what i'm expecting it to do and this is it, the Asus ROG G501.
I've researched about it for weeks and i am quite happy with the results that i've found.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2.6-3.4 i think)
GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
16GB RAM

The reviews i've found were good enough for me, i guess all i need is to set some games (similar to Withcer 3) to med-high or just
optimize my laptop. I have a few questions though;

Can it really run the latest games?
- So i've wondered around the net some day and i actually found some people disappointed saying that their games still run slow.
I would like to have real confirmation from users who have used this laptop.

Temperature is normal?
- So, Asus said they have the advanced cooling system thing and i've seen a lot of members here having 70-80 temps and that
scared me, a person here told the person that it was normal and shouldn't worry too much about it. My question is, should i
worry about these temps or no?

Cooling system?
- I never found where the vents were, not at the bottom, not at the front, back or sides... So where does the air come from? Also,
is the cooling system that good as Asus says? Most quietest and coolest in their class?

Final question, from a scale of 1-10, give your rating on this laptop in terms of gaming performance (with or without optimzation, pls specify thx xD)

Thanks for taking your time to read this!! Sorry for errors .-.
7 REPLIES 7

Sheldondl
Level 7
Well, I assume the witcher 3 can run at medium settings at medium settings, no anti aliasing at 50-60fps.

Can it run the latest games?
It should be able to run most games at medium to high settings at a reasonably smooth fps. 4k gaming isn't something to consider with a 960m 4gb.

Temperature wise is not really the best at keeping cool. My model with a 2GB VRAM 8GB RAM heats up to an extreme level (to me) but when I got a cooling pad, everything went a lot cooler. Palm rests were on the borderline between comfortable and uncomfortable, but do not game/stream videos on your lap. especially with after a long gaming session. But I live in a tropical region (30 degrees outside temperature) so results may vary for you. You shouldn't worry about temps while gaming on a desk but I highly recommend not to game on your lap.

The vents are located right underneath the screen, which means the screen can get very very hot. The air is taken in from the keyboard and out through the hard to find screen. It is most certainly not quiet to me, and it is quite audible on a load, and sometimes it spins up very loudly for no reason. But again, temperature and audio vary from people to people. Coolest no, quietest, varies from person to person.

Korth
Level 14
The G501 is equipped with a 3840x2160 display, it's not true DCI-defined 4K but it's the same resolution as television "UHD" 4K and it's still a whole lot of pixels to push around.

At reference specs, a 4GB GTX960M is roughly 85% the GPU performance of a 4GB GTX960 and roughly 70% the performance of a 4GB GTX980. Many people claim that Witcher 3 is unplayable at highest quality 4K on a single GTX980, though that's a highly subjective generalization filled with countless hardware and software variables.

I think the G501 should be able to run Witcher 3 at full res with middling quality settings at a decent sustained fps. But it will bog down under heavy physics so fps will probably dip alarmingly when you really need it the most. But bear in mind that Witcher 3 is arguably the most hardware-heavy current game title, most games are much less demanding.

Temps?
It's a laptop. It will get warm under normal use, it will get hot under heavy use. It'll suck the battery dry and need to be plugged to survive hours of happy gaming, but it will only get even hotter while simultaneously charging and discharging the battery under heavy gaming load. It would be wise to get some kind of laptop cooler. You can invest your hopes into Asus warranty or you can seize fate by the throat and do a full re-paste.

But replace that powersucking heavy slow clunky fragile HDD and puny gutless SDD with a manly Samsung 850 SDD (or two) immediately! Longer battery life, faster, lighter, bigger, smaller, better in every way. It's a real shame to bottleneck the performance of such impressive (and expensive) laptop hardware with garbage storage devices.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
The G501 is equipped with a 3840x2160 display, it's not true DCI-defined 4K but it's the same resolution as television "UHD" 4K and it's still a whole lot of pixels to push around.

At reference specs, a 4GB GTX960M is roughly 85% the GPU performance of a 4GB GTX960 and roughly 70% the performance of a 4GB GTX980. Many people claim that Witcher 3 is unplayable at highest quality 4K on a single GTX980, though that's a highly subjective generalization filled with countless hardware and software variables.

I think the G501 should be able to run Witcher 3 at full res with middling quality settings at a decent sustained fps. But it will bog down under heavy physics so fps will probably dip alarmingly when you really need it the most. But bear in mind that Witcher 3 is arguably the most hardware-heavy current game title, most games are much less demanding.

Temps?
It's a laptop. It will get warm under normal use, it will get hot under heavy use. It'll suck the battery dry and need to be plugged to survive hours of happy gaming, but it will only get even hotter while simultaneously charging and discharging the battery under heavy gaming load. It would be wise to get some kind of laptop cooler. You can invest your hopes into Asus warranty or you can seize fate by the throat and do a full re-paste.

But replace that powersucking heavy slow clunky fragile HDD and puny gutless SDD with a manly Samsung 850 SDD (or two) immediately! Longer battery life, faster, lighter, bigger, smaller, better in every way. It's a real shame to bottleneck the performance of such impressive (and expensive) laptop hardware with garbage storage devices.

I remember someone saying that undercloking the CPU will decrease the heat below 79 and the FPS of most games will still stay normal, is this true?

Korth
Level 14
Games tend to lean heavy on the GPUs, but on a system like this (where the GPU will often be overworked) the CPU is going to be busy with auxilliary processing and constant memory addressing tasks. Underclocking the CPU will impact gaming performance, but on non-intensive games the impact will be less noticeable and a balance between slower processing vs longer playtime would be possible.

You can't do a lot to optimize and upgrade this device other than pack it with a very fast SSD (or two), as much RAM as it will accept, maybe a bigger battery, and the lightest cleanest most minimal running software load you can get away with to launch your game.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

xarot
Level 11
I have the 1080p version of this laptop.

Witcher 3 won't run even on 1080p with minimum settings if you want good FPS. It only runs around 20-30 fps on 1920x1080 and minimum settings. If you drop resolution to 1366x768 it'll run around 40-60 fps with some added details too. Well I thought the performance on 1080p was enot enough as I have Titan X SLI in my desktop computer, so... 🙂

Witcher 3 is the most demanding game right now I think.

I think the cooling system draws and pushes air inside/outside the laptop from near the hinges of the screen. There's just a small gap for it. Probably it draws cooler air from the middle and outputs the heat from the sides. I've seen some severe throttling with this laptop's GPU as it starts to throttle near 80c. In more demanding situations the GPU clocks went down from 1097 MHz as low as 405 MHz and this had a huge impact on performance. This depends on what you'll actually play on this.

The previous 'gaming' laptop I had had Radeon 9200 and a later model HD 6470 in it. The GTX 960M is a gaming-grade GPU, but don't expect much from it. I think it's quite comparable to desktop GTX 750 or older GTX 570. It's inside a laptop after all.

Hope this helps. 🙂
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

xarot wrote:
I have the 1080p version of this laptop.

Witcher 3 won't run even on 1080p with minimum settings if you want good FPS. It only runs around 20-30 fps on 1920x1080 and minimum settings. If you drop resolution to 1366x768 it'll run around 40-60 fps with some added details too. Well I thought the performance on 1080p was enot enough as I have Titan X SLI in my desktop computer, so... 🙂

Witcher 3 is the most demanding game right now I think.

I think the cooling system draws and pushes air inside/outside the laptop from near the hinges of the screen. There's just a small gap for it. Probably it draws cooler air from the middle and outputs the heat from the sides. I've seen some severe throttling with this laptop's GPU as it starts to throttle near 80c. In more demanding situations the GPU clocks went down from 1097 MHz as low as 405 MHz and this had a huge impact on performance. This depends on what you'll actually play on this.

The previous 'gaming' laptop I had had Radeon 9200 and a later model HD 6470 in it. The GTX 960M is a gaming-grade GPU, but don't expect much from it. I think it's quite comparable to desktop GTX 750 or older GTX 570. It's inside a laptop after all.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Aw it's a shame that this laptop heats up a lot... Was really hoping this would be the laptop lol but eh, i guess i'll just have to experiment, if
i find anything good to decrease the temps when i get it i'll be sure to post it here :]

Anyways, do you have any recommendations on other ROG laptops? Preferably the ones that runs cool and good for latest games? I don't mind the weight at the moment.

toronto699
Level 13
laptops for , games , video editing , music mix , entertainment . mostly games
Asus G751 , G752