cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V formula Z BSOD and shut down

mxquattro
Level 7
Hi everyone. I have been using my system for about a year now with no problems. I went all high end on everything.
Hitachi SSD
750W PSU
32GB DRAM

I started getting BSOD then intermittent shut downs. I thought maybe it was my SSD, since this has happened before and replacing it worked.
I got annoyed with SSDs at this point and went to a WD black. As Im installing windows Im getting the same thing, BSOD or shut down.

If I boot off the win 7 DVD, I can have it sit there on the intro screen seemingly forever. As soon as it starts doing something it freezes or bsod or shut down

What I did:

New hard drive
Removed 3 of the 4 RAM sticks - same thing
Replaced the remaing 1 with brand new - same thing
Unplugged every device (USB/SATA etc) except keyboard and mouse
Reset BIOS back to factory defaults.

Thermal camera shows nothing too warm at all. Besides, its cold up here in Alaska! Im kind of at a loss what to do next. Maybe replacing CPU but that isnt a cheap thing to replace just as a test.

Any tips would be HUGELY appreciated as this is my baby!
28 REPLIES 28

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
What CPU are you using? All of the 8-Cores run pretty hot - while overall temps might look okay, there might be poor conduction from the heat spreader to the sink.

Z

Hi there. THanks for the reply. I have an AMD in there now. (i7? I8? I dont recall, I think i8). It has been great for a year or more. It has a corsair
cpu cooler and radiator on it. Should I take it off and put on new heat sync compound?

Also, there any motherboard diagnostics I can run when this happens? Or look for a code?

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
You mentioned booting from the DVD - can you still boot to any hard drive?

Also, if you can act quickly, you can get the error code on the BSOD and look up what it means. I don't know if it will be logged anywhere if no OS is installed, though.

Z

Yes I can boot to the hard drive just fine and it boots to my desktop without issue. Generally though after a minute or so it will shut off and reboot or bsod. Last bsod I took a picture of it, and
online it said it was a driver. However that was with my factory fresh hard drive and still booting off DVD so there were no drivers anywhere in the vicinity yet!

Korth
Level 14
CPUID will identify your processor part and specs, TechPowerUp GPU-Z will identify your GPU parts and specs, Passmark RAMMon will identify your memory parts and specs. We already know you have a ROG Crosshair Formula Z motherboard.

Please run these programs and report your results - or better yet, post screenshots. Also look at your PSU brand/model if you can.

More complete information about your system components means we can more accurately and more quickly help you to get it working.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hello. Im not sure Id be able to get that far. As I say, I can boot to the desktop but after a few seconds or a minute, its lights out. I do
have all the specs just didnt have them off the top of my head. I will get them and post here.

Hi there. This is what my setup is:

4x chips G_Skill Ripjaws Z Ram - F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD, DDR3-2400 CL10 PC3-19200 8GBx4 Intel XMP ready (total of 32GB)
Corsair RM750 PSU
Crucial 512GB SSD
Gigabyte GV-N670WF2-2GD GTX670 GPU
AMD FX CPU - 8350 8 core - FD8350FRW8K

Logitech G510 USB keyboard, RAT9 wireless mouse

Thats all I have plugged into it right now.
Thank you for any help!
Bob

And this is the BSOD I usually get. I get this with a fresh hard drive (no drivers yet!) while installing windows 7 64bit. This is within about 30 seconds
of the install.

http://maxboostracing.com/bsod.jpg

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
In your BIOS setup menu, try to disable your 'on-board devices' like networking, usb, etc. See if you can boot/load normally.

Another thing you might try is download a new BIOS installation (rom) and flash your BIOS - it is possible your current installation has become corrupt.

Z