cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having bootup troubles with G73-JH

simran
Level 7
Hey all, first I want to say thanks for having such a great community and having so much information readily available for people like me 😄

On to my problem: recently whenever I start my laptop, it does the following:

1 - Stays on a black screen for a while with the fans spinning very audibly
2 - Displays a message on the top right of the screen that says "Error sending end of post to ME"
3 - After that occurs, the computer boots up normally, yet the fans are still very loud even though I may not be doing much

I checked my device manager, and it shows that my Intel Management Engine Interface is displaying an error that says "Cannot start (code 10)".

Has anyone seen any errors like this before? I'm not sure what the correct plan of action is, but I'm currently thinking about either reflashing my BIOS or doing startup repair with a windows 7 recovery disk. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
doing a Google search it looks like "Error sending end of post message to ME" but no obvious fixes. If it starts acting strangely from startup then it sounds like some sort of hardware issue but I'd say you could try the things you mentioned just for completeness.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JRd1st
Level 12
What do you use IME for? Try uninstalling it. Then reinstalling if you need it or not at all. 🙂
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
Since you report the problem is recent, try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time when it was stable.

It is interesting that your fans spin up and keep running at a high RPM. Does temperature monitoring software indicate the GPU or CPU is running hot?

I've also come across an error with the Intel 5 Series chipsets that results in fan spin up after the BIOS is updated. What BIOS are you currently running?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

doing a Google search it looks like "Error sending end of post message to ME" but no obvious fixes. If it starts acting strangely from startup then it sounds like some sort of hardware issue but I'd say you could try the things you mentioned just for completeness.

Ah yes that's actually what I meant, looks like I forgot a word haha.

What do you use IME for? Try uninstalling it. Then reinstalling if you need it or not at all.

Personally, I have no actual use for it, however it was already on the computer when I purchased it. Would uninstalling it completely have any negative impact on my performance?

Since you report the problem is recent, try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time when it was stable.

It is interesting that your fans spin up and keep running at a high RPM. Does temperature monitoring software indicate the GPU or CPU is running hot?

I've also come across an error with the Intel 5 Series chipsets that results in fan spin up after the BIOS is updated. What BIOS are you currently running?

Unfortunately I have no system restore points available, as this laptop is less than a month old and I didn't think I'd be having any problems like this so soon.

As far as my GPU and CPU goes, they don't appear to be running hot at all; my temperature sensor program shows that my i7 processor is averaging around 36 degrees Celsius between the four cores, and my GPU is around 43 degrees Celsius, so it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

I recently updated my BIOS to 213 about two weeks ago, but the problem only started yesterday, so I'm not sure if the BIOS is the problem or not, although I will definitely not rule it out just yet.

Also, thanks a bunch you guys for responding and trying to help me out, I greatly appreciate it since I know you don't have to do this 😄

xeromist
I know you can accomplish a lot in a month, but any chance you could save your files to a thumb drive and do a factory restore(F9 boot)? That should tell you pretty quickly whether this is a Windows issue or the laptop itself.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dstrakele
Level 14
The Intel Management Engine is used by corporate IT adminstrators to provide remote adminstration of Windows systems (see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=intel%20management%20engine&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFj...). I suspect that the error message and delay in startup is due to the fact that the Intel MEI cannot start.

If this was occuring on my system, I would uninstall the device and reboot. If the error persists, I would attempt reinstallation from Safe Mode.

I know you can accomplish a lot in a month, but any chance you could save your files to a thumb drive and do a factory restore(F9 boot)? That should tell you pretty quickly whether this is a Windows issue or the laptop itself.

I actually tried this, but hitting F9 doesn't appear to do anything =/ I (more or less) mash on it once the Asus logo appears onscreen, yet it just continues booting as it has been (with the "Error sending end of post message to ME" message still present)

The Intel Management Engine is used by corporate IT adminstrators to provide remote adminstration of Windows systems (see http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...SAB-aSFWdydFUQ). I suspect that the error message and delay in startup is due to the fact that the Intel MEI cannot start.

If this was occuring on my system, I would uninstall the device and reboot. If the error persists, I would attempt reinstallation from Safe Mode.

I uninstalled IME, but the problem is still there (long boot time, fans going crazy). If I have to I will definitely reinstall, but I'd like to see if there is much else I can do.

Would anybody happen to know where the download is for the factory install files for this laptop? As I mentioned earlier, doing a factory restore boot doesn't seem to be working (unless I am trying to do it incorrectly).

Once again, thanks so much for everything everybody.

dstrakele
Level 14
You can find the factory drivers and apps for your system on the ASUS Support site under "Downloads". You just enter your model# and OS.

JRd1st
Level 12
Look in msconfig startups for an entry to start IME, and disable it. If you can't find anything do a diagnostic startup and see if the problem persists.

Google win7 diagnostic startup
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com