cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X79-DELUXE Bricked after USB BIOS Flashback

bch
Level 8
I recently got the X79-DELUXE with an Intel Core i7-4930K from a good friend of mine. I was very exited.

One of the first things I did was to flash the BIOS from 0506 to 0902 using USB BIOS Flashback because I wanted the most up-to-date system stability.

The update failed with the blue flashback button staying solid. It has resulted in a bricked motherboard with the CPU LED red and the status code display always showing 00.

In the last few days I have tried everything, several USB sticks, different formatting, different BIOS versions, with and without RAM and CPU, another PSU.

The result is always that the blue flashback button suddently turns solid blue after somewhere inbetween 1-5 minutes. I have searched and read maybe 30 different forums and articles without resolution.

What can I do to solve this sad situation?

Thank you very much.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You could try this:

Reflash the BIOS (BIOS flashback method) with a freshly downloaded BIOS file...not the one you used the last time....maybe using
diskpart on your pendrive first:

DISKPART:

Open a command prompt window as Administrator and use diskpart to format your pendrive.
Best use a small USB 2.0 pendrive.

Type... and press enter after every line of course

diskpart
listdisk
select diskn (where n is the number of the pendrive)
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

Now place renamed BIOS file on pendrive (only BIOS file nothing else) (I presume X79D.CAP but there is a BIOS file renaming utility you can use on the website for your board)

Power off.....CLEAR CMOS...

Place pendrive in ROG connect port and press ROG connect button for 3 seconds until lights start to flash....

If that doesn't work remove battery and all power and CPU from board for 24 hours....Connect up power and replace battery and clear CMOS with no CPU and then reseat CPU and clear CMOS again...

If that does not work
http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63730052/Products/20313

is there a US based site to order this chip from? I see them on ebay but not sure if they are legit. Your link was a german website.

bch
Level 8
Thank you for your answer.

I did format the USB drive exactly like you described during my many tries. The correct filename is X79DLX.CAP.

After my first post I did the mistake of trying to re-seat the BIOS chip. I could not put it back without one of the legs broke off, so I ordered a new one from http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASUS-X79-DELUXE-/380722407547?hash=item58a4d2e87b:g:17QAAOSwuMFUku...

Hopefully it will solve the problem but I feel like there is something more profound going wrong.

So now I am waiting for the chip to arrive. How do I know in which direction to put it in?

bch
Level 8
Hi

The BIOS chip arrived a week after I placed the order.

I installed it and was prepared for the worst but... it worked!

So now I have learned a lot and have the latest BIOS in the board.

I am very curious about what possibly could have caused the board to act like that, but I am very happy for the result.

Thank you very much!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
It happens sometimes...BIOS chip goes bad...glad you're back up and running.

Lots of dodgy chips on ebay....glad you got a good one.

I would recommend BIOSchip 24 http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=Categories

Folks, thank a lot.

After this thread I realised, that MB does not accept USB stick with newer BIOS because of some details of formatting. I spent a lot trying figuring out how to prepare USB stick in order to use Flashback without Windows.

It turned out that Linux GParted formatting stick for FAT32 with assigning it small label (C in my case) helped the situation.