cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A New 900D-type Case is On the Block

Hardliner
Level 11

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSFDSUS?*Version*=1&*entries*=0
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
Huge, impressive, expensive.

I don't really like the layout of the drive cages and front intake fans. And they're not easily swappable.

I don't like the rubber dampers on the PSU and HDD cages. These parts won't oscillate or rattle if everything is properly secured and functional, if they're wobbling off balance then noise levels are the least of your concerns. I vastly prefer the PSU have proper electrical ground on the metal chassis (and mobo standoffs), I expect HDDs and SDDs might have better odds of surviving electrical anomalies when they are also properly grounded onto a large mass of chassis metal. And only a fool wants multiple floating grounds when a single unified ground works more reliably. (Yes it's nitpicky neurotic hypernerd stuff, but my hardware is complex and it ain't cheap and many problems can be so very easily avoided.)

I do like the sound suppression, though it will add some heat and more fans equals more noise so ... hard to judge the effectiveness (or limits) of the sound suppression. Won't do a lot of good if fans are mounted right under rads where they'll just push half their noise out of the chassis anyhow.

I also like those nifty metal feet.

This case has appeal but I think the Obsidian 850 or 900D already covers my sort of niche fairly well. If I wanted bigger and badder I would go for a proper "4U" server tower of the sort carried by SuperMicro, Dell, or HP - it would provide a lot more user-configurable modularity (or custom order specs) and the very best of the best chassis features, amenities, and capabilities at comparable cost (although I admit that few of them are available with all-black interiors).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hardliner
Level 11
I prefer my 900D, though the NDS6 is only $200 USD compared to $335 USD for the 900D.

Speaking of having SSD's actually touch the metal of the case to keep grounded, I have mine Velcroed to the side of the optical drive bay, but the right one is touching the metal inside-front of the case and the left one is touching the right one so they are both grounded, right?

Korth
Level 14
SSDs and HDDs don't really need a chassis ground, they can be serviced entirely off the PSU. But if your PSU chassis has conductive contact to your metal PC chassis then anything else which has metal-to-metal contact to the chassis will also be electrically grounded.

Very few consumer SSDs have any internal grounding, though. Many have a metal enclosure but there aren't any traces or wires or capacitors or anything inside the enclosure which connects it to a live electrical circuit - firmly securing these SSDs to a grounded chassis doesn't ground them.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hardliner
Level 11
Right, I should have thought about my PSU already being in direct contact with the metal case.

That thing is an absolute monster. To be honest, I find the design to be a lot less clean the Corsair 900D.

I don't know, it just doesn't impress me when comparing it to something like the 900D or Phantom 820.

I dont really see a reason to get this over a corsair 900D which is already huge itself, the last thing you'd want to do is get an even bigger case for no reason.
imagine that thing under your desk...

and lets be real, with the 50 or whatever drive "caddies" in this case, i mean.. why not just build a server, the woman in the
video is talking about having dual cpu's and endless amounts of drives, should i just buy two 5960x's and a buttload of
intel ssd's to shove in there? who is this case even for, you could never use all that space and those drive slots
space could be relatively used by someone doing a custom watercooling loop, but still, the drive slots are rediculous.