cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair IV Extreme - 16GB RAM configurations?

Minotaur1975
Level 7
Hi all.
Currently running a Crosshair IV Extreme with an 1100T CPU and 4x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X DIMMS.
I would like to upgrade to 16GB of RAM while at the same time future-proofing as much as possible.
Has anyone ran 2x8GB memory sticks in this board? If not, I will probably end up buying 4x4GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 1866
I'd like to only use 2 DIMM slots if possible to allow me to go up to 32GB at a later date (probably on a different board, hence future-proofing)
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Minotaur197:D

The 1100T is a 6 core, from what I recall and not many choices for DIMMs listed on the ASUS QVL.
Your MB supports 16GB but which DIMMs to get. I could not find a single 16GB kit listed on any ASUS QVL for that MB.

Ask yourself, What are the limitations of my MB and can I future proof a MB of this age?
If NO, then its time to upgrade the MB. Just for that alone.

Mixing DIMM kits, even of the same spec can be troublesome, so if you upgrade the MB, consider DIMMs requirement carefully in conjunction with the CPU IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) capability. 16GB is plenty enough RAM for everyday tasking and playing games. If rendering or massive multitasking then 32GB.
Not a considerable lot to gain, performance wise when choosing higher frequency DIMMs. For general use and gaming a 16GB 2X8 @ 1866MHz kit is all you will need. Unless you are chasing benchmark scores.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

I wasn't planning on mixing DIMMS, I will be completely replacing my existing ram - either with 4x4 or 2x8. Your response implies that 2x8 will work...?
The QVL is pretty incomplete, even for what was around at the time.

Minotaur1975 wrote:
I wasn't planning on mixing DIMMS, I will be completely replacing my existing ram - either with 4x4 or 2x8. Your response implies that 2x8 will work...?
The QVL is pretty incomplete, even for what was around at the time.

A slight misunderstanding. Never meant to imply that 2x8 would work with your existing MB. Those comments were for, if you decide to upgrade the MB.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]