New ROGer Array IBMer PC Specs
    IBMer PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Impact VI
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 4670K@4200MHz
    Memory (part number)2x8GB G.Skill Trident X DDR-2400
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 770 SC modded with NZXT Kraken G10 + Corsair Hydro H55
    MonitorLG 29EA93
    Storage #1Crucial M500 M.2 500GB
    Storage #2WD Blue 1TB 3.5"
    CPU CoolerAntec Kühler 620
    CaseModded Vintage IBM PS/1 2121
    Power SupplySilverstone SX600-G (SFX)
    Keyboard Cooler Master Quick Fire Pro
    Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65

Smile IBM PS/1 Vintage Mod - SFF & Custom watercooling

Hi everyone,
    I’m am just done with a new vintage mod project. I figured I would share a few pics.
    This is a follow-up to the mod of the IBM PS/1 2121 I posted a few weeks ago (The PS/1 2125 - ROG https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-6th-June-2015 ).

Objectives:
    - Switch the box from a PS/1 2121 to an IBM PS/1 2011: the original PS/1, twice as thin: 26x7x30cm (width/height/depth).

My PS/1 2011, in working order, keeping this one

- Bring as little modification to the original box as possible, except the paintjob, and especially preserve the way it slides open.
    - Keep the same CPU/MB and GPU (Asus ROG Impact VI et EVGA GTX770 SC)
    - To do so, give up on both closed-circuit loops previously used for a single custom watercooling loop, with an external cooling tower.
    - Having the tower’s design somewhat match the PS/1 look, especially air intakes.

Elements of the loop:
    - CPU Block EK Supremacy MX
    - GPU Block EK-FC770GTX with EK-FC780GTX Ti rear plate
    - Pump-Tank Combo EK-SBAY DDC 3.2 PWM
    - Radiator EK Coolstream XTC 280
    - 2 x Be Quiet Silent Wing 2 140mm fans
    - mostly L-shaped Alphacool 13/10 fittings
    - 2 Phobya Quick Coupling Valves, 13/10
    - Red EK coolant fluid
    - flexible Alphacool 13/10 tubing

Other parts :
    - A flexible PCI-E 16x riser
    - SD Card Reader (Akasa AK-ICR-13)

First Step I : The cooling Tower

This PS/1 case is so small that I didn’t find a way to host the motherboard and graphic card together with the pump and tank. I chose a combo pump/tank instead and decided to put it in the external tower.
    As for my previous mod I have few tools and mostly used spare acrylic sheets.
    The tower dimensions are 15,3(width)x36(heigth)x13,5cm(depth) and the shape of the radiator let me install a SD card reader at the bottom.

Just to have a first idea, I stacked these elements together with a cardboard version of the grill:

And here are the blueprints (made with Draftsight):

Sides and vertical parts of the grill (acrylic 2,5mm) :

Top and bottom parts (acrylic 5mm) and horizontal parts of the grill (acrylic 4,5mm) :

A first try at putting things together:

Cleaning and gluing the grill

Front view, once assembled and painted

For the paintwork, I tried to get the same texture as the PS/1 case using a sandy texture layer, plus a black layer… not quite like the original but still ok.
    The grill is removable for maintenance

The back is still messy

I still need to simplify and braid the cables to get a cleaner look.
    Front view with temporary braiding and quick coupling system installed

Step II: modification of the PS/1 case itself
    Over the summer I modded the case a bit with the following objectives:
    - Keep the upper part clear of any modification in order place the screen on top, in the original PS/1 spirit.
    - Cut/drill the bottom of the case : to make an intake for the SFX PSU, and to fix it as well as the motherboard.
    - Mod the back of the case to accommodate the I/O backplate, as well as connections to the cooling tower.
    - Add something to hold the PCI-E 16x riser.

Before starting…
    Front view of the original case

On my previous PS/1 mod someone told me it was a shame to do make use of the original 3.5’’ hole… I don’t have much space as the GPU will be right behind, but at least I will put USB ports there and the eject button will be recycled as a power-on switch.
    Rear view

Quite a bit cutting required… with an obvious issue of rigidity in the end. Those PS/2 ports are exactly the size of the pass-through Phobya quick release valves I bought… at least that one less cut-out.

Freeing space…

(parts of) what will get in

Clearly this will be quite packed in there… the SFX PSU barel fits in height, there is not enough width to use a rigid riser… hence the use of the flexible one so that the GPU and MB overlap.

Some additions

From bottom to top :
    - The PCI-E Riser holder
    - A plate to reinforce the backplate
    - The PSU holder

Front plate, painted

[b][i]The front USB/LED/Switch panel

Inside view

Step III…. hmm… step I bis, back to the cooling tower

I made a tidier layout, using L-shapped fittings (3x G1/4 ->13/10 from Alphacool and a generic 13/10 -> 13/10). I kept the flexible tubes, no real need to go for hard-tubing.

As a final touch I made a rear grill out of a spare steel grill sheet.

Note to self: this badly cuts, don’t forget gloves next time.

And here is the final view (just need to remember to conceal the power cable of the pump):

Step III inside tubing & installation of the components
    First of all I had to mod my 770 into a single slot, as it was not fitting the height of the case, especially as ROG Impact VI has a rather high module for wifi and M.2.
    I hope that for the next gen Nvidia will move to single slot cards, it’s always scary to ‘butcher’ one’s equipment like this and I would like something more affordable than an EVGA 980ti Kingpin

Removing the cover of the second DVI slot:

I then cut each connection with cutting pliers:

As the graphic card is placed above and horizontally I had to wire everything and place the tubes in advance. I also had enough space to install a 2.5’’ hard drive

Inside view before the installation of the GPU:

Compared to my original plans I had to move the water intake to a closer location from the CPU… it’s not as nice as having in/out tubes side by side but I just didn’t have enough space... that said, this way the loop is simple and short.

With the GPU installed:

I am quite found of the EK backplate

Testing the loop, finally:

Au finally…

Here is the PS/1 once everything back on my desk and working.

Really glad I made this first attempt at building a custom watercooling loop it was fun

It’s not quite over though… I’d love to lower temps a bit, probably going to install EK vardars, maybe a thicker radiator.

And now let the game begin.
    Last edited by IBMer; 11-07-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Changed title

Banned Array Hardliner PC Specs
    Hardliner PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel MOBO
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75960X Desktop Processor
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    MonitorASUS ROG PG278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms DisplayPort Ergonomic BackLit LED G-SYNC Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Intel 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    Storage #2x2 Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) in RAID 0
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock - Acetal+Nickel; Alphacool Full Copper Rads - two 480mm and two 240mm
    CaseCorsair's Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AX1500i CP-9020057-NA 1500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Titanium certified Full Modular
    Keyboard ASUS STRIX TACTIC PRO Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches
    Mouse Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset Corsair Gaming VOID USB Gaming Headset Carbon (CA-9011130-NA)
    Mouse Pad RAZER Goliathus SPEED Edition Soft Mouse Pad - Extended
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | USB Flash Drive
    Accessory #1 TRACKIR 5 Pro Bundle: TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
    Accessory #2 x12 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 120mm max.1500RPM/1 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 140mm max.1000RPM
    Accessory #3 EK-Dual DDC 3.2 PWM X-TOP (incl. pump) w/ optional 'Black' Sleeve Color

You could put that rig in movie with a late-1980's to early-1990's setting and have it be a computer geniuse's who modded it with the working PC parts he/she had of the day.

IBMer PC Specs
    MonitorLG 29EA93

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner View Post
    You could put that rig in movie with a late-1980's to early-1990's setting and have it be a computer geniuse's who modded it with the working PC parts he/she had of the day.
    I tried to keep the 1990s feel indeed (LCD excluded), thanks for the interest!

Banned Array Hardliner PC Specs
    Hardliner PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel MOBO
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75960X Desktop Processor
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Hydro Copper P/N: 12G-P4-2999-KR
    MonitorASUS ROG PG278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms DisplayPort Ergonomic BackLit LED G-SYNC Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Intel 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    Storage #2x2 Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) in RAID 0
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS R5E Monoblock - Acetal+Nickel; Alphacool Full Copper Rads - two 480mm and two 240mm
    CaseCorsair's Obsidian Series® 900D Super Tower Case
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AX1500i CP-9020057-NA 1500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Titanium certified Full Modular
    Keyboard ASUS STRIX TACTIC PRO Gaming Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches
    Mouse Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse
    Headset Corsair Gaming VOID USB Gaming Headset Carbon (CA-9011130-NA)
    Mouse Pad RAZER Goliathus SPEED Edition Soft Mouse Pad - Extended
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro | USB Flash Drive
    Accessory #1 TRACKIR 5 Pro Bundle: TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
    Accessory #2 x12 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 120mm max.1500RPM/1 be quiet! SILENT WINGS 2 PWM 140mm max.1000RPM
    Accessory #3 EK-Dual DDC 3.2 PWM X-TOP (incl. pump) w/ optional 'Black' Sleeve Color

I am glad to have seen it!

The glass desk looks sort of space-age, though. . ..

I saw an Intel commercial on Youtube with 'Sheldon' from The Big Bang Theory and it had two guys on there from the early-90's looking like Vanilla Ice with their dinosaur dot-printer that started printing when they pushed a button on the keyboard and they got really excited and one guy said, "Oh, we straight up printin', YO," and they started dancing. lol

Here it is:

Last edited by Hardliner; 11-10-2015 at 02:31 AM.

IBMer PC Specs
    MonitorLG 29EA93

Thanks for the link

Actually an option for the IBM PS/1 was a PS/1 branded 24 pins printer. This should be my next mod