cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G551JW complete disassembly guide?

eligijusp
Level 7
Hey,

Title says it all. Has anyone any photos or videos of opening G551JW?

Tried removing screws from back of laptop and open it with a plastic card, but failed to lift the parts near monitor(corners & the side bellow monitor). Maybe there's some kind of a trick or should I just use some force? Looking forward for any replies, cheers.
14 REPLIES 14

toronto699
Level 13

I don't know if taking 2 screws and accessing HHD and stuff can be called disassembly, but obviously I wasn't asking for that.

Anyway, couldn't find any help here so far, will try put some force to open it since it doesn't open smoothly. If break happens I will let you know of what not to do, since this forum lacks information on disassembles of their own products, peace.

Sorry we couldn't help you. Apparently no one here has disassembled one. This is user based forum were just people trying to help other people. What ever reason you want to open up your notebook it will void any warranty you may have? I also looked around You tube and didn't see any for your notebook. You might want to have a authorized Asus repair handle this?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

toronto699 wrote:
here
http://rog.asus.com/376092014/g-series-gaming-laptops/g551-upgrade-guide/

This is not a disassembly guide, much less a complete disassembly guide.

Lee Maryland wrote:
This is not a disassembly guide, much less a complete disassembly guide.

Well hop on over to You Tube and find 0ne. Its really just that easy
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

navis995
Level 11
I take it it goes apart same as G750.

First you have to of course take out the screws by the edge. I have 4 at the bottom 2 at the top and one somewhere mid on the left.

Then I take out the battery ones.

Then I take the bottom plate off and unscrew them (They're market with letters on mine)

Then you take out optic drive and unscrew screws there.

Then I take out the speakers.

Then I unscrew the keyboard.

Then you use card and jam it in to lift the keyboard and take it out. (Watch for keyboard ribons)

Then you get to the motherboard and unscrew those. A bunch of them everywhere.

After that I can take my MB out and take out the CPU and GPU plate wit fans.

Then you can unscrew the CPU and GPU cooling unit and that's it.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

Thanks for the replies.
navis995, mine is nowhere close to G750. Thanks for your effort though.
Clintlgm, I have warranty and stuff, but after reading all the info what they repair and what they don't , what responsibilities there are and so on, I decided to open it myself, because I need SSD replaced/removed because It stopped booting; formatting/wipe doesn't work; windows installation crashes etc., tried everything. And for some reason SSD is given priority when laptop boots, so after I disable it in bios my laptop still doesn't work as good as it did. So I'll just take SSD out and be with my HHD only for the time being.
Problem was(still is) that after I tried to open it, parts near monitor (corners and side) didn't open while the rest 3 sides did open and I was able to peek at the inside of the laptop.

This explains how to get your 28Gb SSD working as a cache drive again. Its probably explain here in this forum somewhere. I can't help with disassembly.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Would love to see a guide to dissassembly as well!