cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Battery Problem

kelso1108
Level 7
Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone has ever encountered this problem before. I've tried Googling and searching this forum to see if anyone has had any problems with their G751 batteries. For some reason, mine won't charge beyond 83-87%. I understand the concept of battery wear, but even if my battery's capacity is at around 50,000+ mWh as CPUID and Battery Bar say, I should still be able to charge up to 100%.

My battery started behaving like this on Sunday (November 8th), while I was backing up my laptop to an external hard drive. I noticed that the charging indicator light was still amber, when it should have been green. When I checked the charging status on the taskbar, it said it was at 87% and that the charge would be complete in about 11 minutes. Half an hour or so later, it was still at 87% and now, when my laptop is unplugged, my battery can survive for just over an hour (compared to the 2+ to 3+ hours it could survive on battery power the week preceding Sunday.

My laptop's barely 11 months old so I think it's pretty unusual for its battery to behave like this. I've tried updating its driver through Device Manager but it's still behaving the same way.

Here are its stats, according to CPUID:

Designed Capacity: 90,000 mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 50,865 mWh
Current Capacity: 42,570 mWh

Wear Level: 44%
Maximum Charge Level: 83%

Here are the stats according to the Battery Report on the command prompt:

Design Capacity: 90,000 mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 50,910 mWh

I've tried calibrating the battery to see if it would fix the issue, but I don't think it's properly calibrating because the battery's not charging to full capacity.

Any thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11

Maiko
Level 7
kelso1108 wrote:
Hey guys,

I don't know if anyone has ever encountered this problem before. I've tried Googling and searching this forum to see if anyone has had any problems with their G751 batteries. For some reason, mine won't charge beyond 83-87%. I understand the concept of battery wear, but even if my battery's capacity is at around 50,000+ mWh as CPUID and Battery Bar say, I should still be able to charge up to 100%.

My battery started behaving like this on Sunday (November 8th), while I was backing up my laptop to an external hard drive. I noticed that the charging indicator light was still amber, when it should have been green. When I checked the charging status on the taskbar, it said it was at 87% and that the charge would be complete in about 11 minutes. Half an hour or so later, it was still at 87% and now, when my laptop is unplugged, my battery can survive for just over an hour (compared to the 2+ to 3+ hours it could survive on battery power the week preceding Sunday.

My laptop's barely 11 months old so I think it's pretty unusual for its battery to behave like this. I've tried updating its driver through Device Manager but it's still behaving the same way.

Here are its stats, according to CPUID:

Designed Capacity: 90,000 mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 50,865 mWh
Current Capacity: 42,570 mWh

Wear Level: 44%
Maximum Charge Level: 83%

Here are the stats according to the Battery Report on the command prompt:

Design Capacity: 90,000 mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 50,910 mWh

I've tried calibrating the battery to see if it would fix the issue, but I don't think it's properly calibrating because the battery's not charging to full capacity.

Any thoughts?

Have you figured this out? I've been having this problem since Upgrading to Windows 10. and I'm completely annoyed.

The RMA submission didn't even want to work. This is my work computer, I can't be without it for a long time.

My computer is only 10 months old.

Mine wont charge past 85 abd its 4 months old. Whoever designed these batteries needs to be fired. Everything else on the laptop wirks to perfection

DESIGN CAPACITY 90,000 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 52,890 mWh

The fk? seriously. I have only had this laptop for 4 months

SoapTurtle wrote:
DESIGN CAPACITY 90,000 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 52,890 mWh

The fk? seriously. I have only had this laptop for 4 months

Batteries are consumable like brakes on a car everyone uses them differently. We had a g751 thats a year old under heavy usage with the battery still at %98 but it was never used off cord for more then an hour. You should still be under warranty rma it or rebuild the pack its not that hard. If you do a rebuild youll have more control over the cells you use and can pick some panasonic 3400 or 3600 cells.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
Batteries are consumable like brakes on a car everyone uses them differently. We had a g751 thats a year old under heavy usage with the battery still at %98 but it was never used off cord for more then an hour. You should still be under warranty rma it or rebuild the pack its not that hard. If you do a rebuild youll have more control over the cells you use and can pick some panasonic 3400 or 3600 cells.

What is a rebuild? I filled out the entire RMA form and it failed to submit. Saying that their was an error.

Either way, this is so frustrating.

Maiko wrote:
What is a rebuild? I filled out the entire RMA form and it failed to submit. Saying that their was an error.

Either way, this is so frustrating.

Rebuild it to either pay someone to rebuild the battery or do it yourself with new cells.
Call customer service they can start an rma for you.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Even if i rebuild the battery i'm going to have to put it in myself. And i really dont want to risk tampering with the computer to have it fail. I never kept my battery on the chagrer always let it off when i wasn't gaming much because i thought that was bad. Do you think that could be the problem? Even so for 4 months this is the worst battery on any laptop i have ever had. My last one survived 2 years on me basically doing the same thing and that wasn't even the problem.

I have exactly the same issue, laptop won't charge anywhere higher than 87%. My g751jy is only 8 months old, wear level is on about 45%. Total joke.

SoapTurtle wrote:
Even if i rebuild the battery i'm going to have to put it in myself. And i really dont want to risk tampering with the computer to have it fail. I never kept my battery on the chagrer always let it off when i wasn't gaming much because i thought that was bad. Do you think that could be the problem? Even so for 4 months this is the worst battery on any laptop i have ever had. My last one survived 2 years on me basically doing the same thing and that wasn't even the problem.

Yes if you rebuild it yourself then you will have to remove it and reinstall it. If your not comfortable with that then you wont be comfortable with a battery rebuild. If youve only had it 4 months just RMA it unless you cant because you bought it used refurbished or other in which case either rebuild it, replace it or take it to someone who will. Theres not another option considering the battery is charging its not the brick. You could possible refresh the cells and rebalance them but thats the same work as replacing the cells. If you lived in Los Angeles you could leave it with me for a day or you could ship it to me otherwise take it to a shop.