cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - Black Screen/Power On Issue - HELP!

livejoker
Level 7
Yes, I'm not the first but no one really answered how to fix this issue and it's frustrating to spend $1,600 on a laptop and have a known issue not fixed.

I got this laptop about 5-6 months ago for work and while a gaming laptop for work doesn't sound like a good idea, I've always wanted a ready-out-of-the-box laptop to game and yet do other things. The price was nice and the laptop looked great. Setting the laptop up was frustrating due to the amounts of updates I had to do and I spent my first day just updating everything. Once done, I enjoyed the laptop...but I knew the black screen was an issue most users came across. Well, looks like I got bit.

I was watching some Netflix, relaxing from work, when the screen froze for about a minute. In that time I held down the power button as nothing else worked only for the screen to go black. I once again held down the power button but nothing. Power button is still lit, keyboard doesn't light up and power and battery lights are still on. I unplugged/plugged the charger - nothing changes. I searched and found that removing the battery, holding the power button and then putting the battery back in while charged fixes the issue. Turns out the battery is built-in and I can't remove it. So my solution can't be done and I have no option other than to bring it back and get it fixed. Seriously?

Any help would be appreciated. I know very little about laptops so fixing it myself is out of the question. Just bummed that you spend that money and it's still a piece of junk...
3 REPLIES 3

livejoker
Level 7
***Update***

Saw a comment somewhere that someone let the battery run out, powered it up (it closes back again because of no battery power), plug charger and then power it up again. My laptop works but I'm still going to make it checked out. It's insane that this issue is known but there's no solution. I'm extremely worried to work with my laptop now as it's now unreliable.

Thanks for the "help" - really appreciate a dedicated community ignoring fellow customers.

smallj53
Level 7
Livejoker,

Black screen on these laptops has been written about over and over. Do a search and you will get a dozen or more threads. That might be why people haven't replied. That said, my g751jy has gradually improved over the last year. Every bios update, windows 10, even my being careful to always consistently start the laptop on the adapter helps.

I think it is a power issue, probably hardware based. Some people have rma'ed over it. I have decided to live with it.

Hey Small, thanks for the reply.

I did search but found most had issues with the startup which I've had once but fixed just by restarting. It also takes a while to boot up but nothing bad. I tend to put it in sleep mode a lot instead of powering it down because of that. No overheating, though, so it's still good. I'm still on Windows 8 (or 8.1..?). Didn't want to upgrade due to some games not working on it, etc. Still getting updates for the laptop which is good. I love this laptop and I'll keep it as long as it works. My worry for the black screen is gone but I'm still a bit wary of it but honestly if I had known these issues before buying the laptop I probably would've checked the other models Asus has.