cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20AJ SSD upgrade ssd to Samsung 840EVO Worth it ?

nig451964
Level 7
Hi

Having recently purchased am G20AJ with a 1tb HDD I was wondering if adding an SSD (840EVO) would yeald much of a performance increase and additionally has anyone successfully transferred os onto new drive given the bios wanting to only boot the installed windows from the 1tb fitted drive.

I looked through the ROG G20 Overhaul thread but I am still unsure ?

Thank you in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

a100
Level 8
I personally did and reported the experience on mutiple threads.

Yes its something you should definitely do. I had a 3TB SATA + 32G Kingston SSD, That was how it make as stock. I disabled SATA by unpluging the power cords from motherborad, and replaced that 32G SSD with a 512 Samsung EVO Pro 850, transferred the whole OS on that single SSD. It hugely made the difference.

Some points though: (Imagine you have opened your G20, you put it on the left side and uncover the right side)

-SATA HDD is below the VGA
-SSD is placed above your Optic Drive
-If you ever decide to do the same as me and put the whole system on a single new SSD, dont worry about the Windows Product key as it is already saved on your BIOS and after the first restart of you newly installed windows, it willconnect to Microsoft servers and validates itself.

And I strongly recommend if you havent opened any PC case before, let someone experienced do that for you.

Let us know if you need any further details for making this work.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

How did you go about transferring your OS please ?, is there a backup utility you used if so , which one please ?

a100
Level 8
The OS on G20 is a windows 8.1 Core single Language.

I personally didnt use any backup utility when I transferred my OS, got the ISO file online and by creating a Bootable 8G USB flash drive installed my windows on the new samsung SSD. It was installed with lightening speed I guess less than 7 mins!!!

By installing a fresh version of windows some of the pre-installed programs will be get rid of, thats my opinion though.

Then you can go on Asus Driver website and install the drivers by your choice.

I can help you doing that if you want step by step, was very simple. G20 became definitely much much faster that it came as stock.

If you ask me, Upgrading the HDD to a single Integrated SSD, Upgrading the VGA to a GTX980Ti, overclocking and cooling it using the cooling trick I explained on another thread in this section are must-do procedures to get the out most result of this G20 gaming PC.

a100 wrote:
The OS on G20 is a windows 8.1 Core single Language.

I personally didnt use any backup utility when I transferred my OS, got the ISO file online and by creating a Bootable 8G USB flash drive installed my windows on the new samsung SSD. It was installed with lightening speed I guess less than 7 mins!!!

By installing a fresh version of windows some of the pre-installed programs will be get rid of, thats my opinion though.

Then you can go on Asus Driver website and install the drivers by your choice.

I can help you doing that if you want step by step, was very simple. G20 became definitely much much faster that it came as stock.

If you ask me, Upgrading the HDD to a single Integrated SSD, Upgrading the VGA to a GTX980Ti, overclocking and cooling it using the cooling trick I explained on another thread in this section are must-do procedures to get the out most result of this G20 gaming PC.

Thanks for replying so quick !,

I am contemplating doing the installation now but have one last question.

Are there any specific settings I need to alter for it to boot from SSD and not HDD as I would really like to keep the 1tb drive I have in there for storage ?, I was concerned about the secure boot thing I heard mentioned elsewhere....?

a100
Level 8
Do you want to set your G20 working on a single SSD or you want to have a Hybrid SSD+SATA?

Hi.

I would like to use the SSD just for OS and have the HDD for data ?, I understand that there are two sata ports and I have an extra sata cable in the box?. Would that be possible ?

a100
Level 8
Yes, sure thats possible.

What I did though, I unplugged my 3T SATA and replaced my 32 SSD Kingstone with a Samsung 512g 850 evo pro SSD and more importantly I create only 1 Drive C:. On my G20 there are no drive c d e f, only a single drive C.

Many might disagree but it truly definitely makes the difference when all your data stored on a Single drive.

I suggest you get yourself an external SATA HDD and connect it to your USB ports whenever you want to access files.

Creating multiple drives and making a hybrid storage system wont be good and slows your PC down, AGAIN this is my humble opinion and many might disagree.

a100 wrote:
Yes, sure thats possible.

What I did though, I unplugged my 3T SATA and replaced my 32 SSD Kingstone with a Samsung 512g 850 evo pro SSD and more importantly I create only 1 Drive C:. On my G20 there are no drive c d e f, only a single drive C.

Many might disagree but it truly definitely makes the difference when all your data stored on a Single drive.

I suggest you get yourself an external SATA HDD and connect it to your USB ports whenever you want to access files.

Creating multiple drives and making a hybrid storage system wont be good and slows your PC down, AGAIN this is my humble opinion and many might disagree.

Oky doky, I have a 3.5" USB 3 External Chassis somewhere under the stairs, does this mean then I wont need to mess about with the BIOS then ?

a100
Level 8
If as I said you want to access that SATA HDD from time to time as an external HDD, for instance for accessing Music, Photos and stuff sure, thats why we use External Storage.

But if if that is going to be used as a storage on which you are gonna install games, no. You must use the SATA HDD already installed on your G20.

If this is the first time you`re gonna install a SSD storage on your G20, there might be a need for playing with BIOS a little.

Remember using a SATA HDD as a permanently connected storage has some disadvantages about which I`m sure you already have heard or read.