cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Laptop Intake Mod for G751JY

Dreamonic
Level 12
Here is yet another intake mod of mine.

The other one I did was to my G75VW/VX which you can find here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33681-Laptop-Intake-Mod

I had recently purchased a G751JY-DB72. The stock temps, CPU mostly AKA "Hotwell" did not leave a lot of headroom for prolonged gaming or benching. It would on occasion decide to thermal throttle which meant it was fluctuating from that 95°C threshold. Okay, no problem, let's run XTU and undervolt (-83mV stable) and still not much of an improvement. Disabling Turbo Boost was the only way to drop the load temps to a respectable 77-81°C and even then the performance drop I noticed in the Witcher 3 was just enough to force me to resolve this issue once and for all. The 980M at stock clocks reached nearly 84°C and would hover around there. This meant modding my vBIOS to OV/OC further would leave me with very little thermal headroom too. So first things first, repaste!

After repasting (MX-4) the CPU load temps dropped from 95°C to 83-85°C and GPU load temps from 84°C to 75-77°C. That's pretty decent but once again though that whole heatsink assembly design where a heatpipe from the GPU spans across the CPU, Argh! During a couple hours of gaming, the temps would still reach numbers I wasn't comfortable seeing. So out come even more tools!

Since the VW/VX systems come with that additional set of fan grill covers, I thought what better time than now to use those.

Same tools I used for my G75 intake mod I used on the G751. The biggest problem I faced was the fan grill cover placement since the bottom of the G751 chassis has those raised portions where if looking on the top side, the CPU/GPU fans sit into it. I also noticed that the GPU and CPU fans are not symmetrically placed from each other like in the VW/VX. The G751 GPU fan sits further back in from the CPU fan. So now I'm thinking what to do here. After I removed the MB and got a better look into the empty chassis, I noticed I had barely any room to cut a hole without compromising a support standoff or footing holder. So out comes the digital caliper.

I decided the best place to put the holes was right at the widest part of those raised portions of the chassis just missing the footings and supports from inside.

I then applied the same glue, black auto touch-up paint and rubber o-rings to finish it off.

The difference now? The CPU doesn't even reach 75°C and GPU is around 66-70°C after being overvolted +125mV and overclocked to 1400 core 6000 mem. I am very satisfied with the results!

LINK
28 REPLIES 28

HulkSmash
Level 8
Looks awesome! Almost looks like a stock component! Good job man! Must be a pain to clean those fans without the removable covers though...I'll be doing a repaste on mine soon, anything I should be aware of? The G75 I had was a breeze to do, anything different here?

HulkSmash wrote:
Looks awesome! Almost looks like a stock component! Good job man! Must be a pain to clean those fans without the removable covers though...I'll be doing a repaste on mine soon, anything I should be aware of? The G75 I had was a breeze to do, anything different here?

Thanks.

It's very similar in procedure to gain access to the MB as the G75 was, except this just has few more screws (MB itself) and less ribbon cables to deal with. Similarly with the G750, the power (AC) board removal step is the same here. One thing I will mention is be very careful when inserting the battery to MB connector back in as the pins are very fragile there, so no forcing it in on any angle or you risk bending or worse, breaking the pins off. If any of that happens you'll lose power to your entire system, even if it is plugged in. It is unlikely to happen (I've only heard of one so far) but that's where all awareness (caution) should be directed, is on that one connector. That's it!

Good luck with your disassemble.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Very Cool!
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZIXEL
Level 7
that is so cool
GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

Corporal
Level 9
I'd do that too, but I'm worried that other components like RAM and parts of the motherboard not connected to the heatsink won't get enough airflow like they get now.

Corporal wrote:
I'd do that too, but I'm worried that other components like RAM and parts of the motherboard not connected to the heatsink won't get enough airflow like they get now.

Correct he just robbed other important hardware of the airflow path that the g751 was designed around. As someone who has externally probe tested each component and run airflow tests with a smoke machine he has most likely done more harm then good not to mention voided all warranty for a few degrees. Would not have been my choice but congrats on modding it cleanly.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
Correct he just robbed other important hardware of the airflow path that the g751 was designed around. As someone who has externally probe tested each component and run airflow tests with a smoke machine he has most likely done more harm then good not to mention voided all warranty for a few degrees. Would not have been my choice but congrats on modding it cleanly.

If there were issues regarding passive cooling around on or near other components, my VX going over 2 years strong the same way would have shown signs of malfunctioning or overheating (look at phones, tablets, some have no heatsink, obviously no fan, passive cooling) same thing applies here. No issues. YES, they do have better power and thermal management in those devices, not to mention different architecture but they ALWAYS are having to throttle clocks to lower temps and power with use and without. Similar controls are in place for the other components in notebooks too. PLUS, I only intend on keeping notebooks for a few years so if they're lasting that long like this, then good enough. No need to be an e-hoarder 😉

Regarding warranty, I never intend to use it, ever. I'd rather have a competent individual such as myself to disassemble and reassemble my purchase than someone who doesn't give two ****s about my system. Not to mention down time and process and ordeal that RMAs can create, while still not rectifying the problem should there have been one. I can do this myself.

This wasn't just a few degrees, but a game changing difference in running max performance.

I'm not new to the block and I'll pay to play. I accept it.

Thanks for the feedback and your opinion nonetheless.

Dreamonic wrote:
If there were issues regarding passive cooling around on or near other components, my VX going over 2 years strong the same way would have shown signs of malfunctioning or overheating (look at phones, tablets, some have no heatsink, obviously no fan, passive cooling) same thing applies here. No issues. YES, they do have better power and thermal management in those devices, not to mention different architecture but they ALWAYS are having to throttle clocks to lower temps and power with use and without. Similar controls are in place for the other components in notebooks too. PLUS, I only intend on keeping notebooks for a few years so if they're lasting that long like this, then good enough. No need to be an e-hoarder 😉

Regarding warranty, I never intend to use it, ever. I'd rather have a competent individual such as myself to disassemble and reassemble my purchase than someone who doesn't give two ****s about my system. Not to mention down time and process and ordeal that RMAs can create, while still not rectifying the problem should there have been one. I can do this myself.

This wasn't just a few degrees, but a game changing difference in running max performance.

I'm not new to the block and I'll pay to play. I accept it.

Thanks for the feedback and your opinion nonetheless.

just curious what you mean by "game changing" difference???
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

Dreamonic
Level 12
No longer had FPS spikes when the CPU thermal throttled (because it ran cooler with the mod) which is a game changing difference of course.