cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with clean install of Windows8 on my Asus ROG 750 laptop

Steelbrawls
Level 7
Hey guys today I reformatted my Asus ROG 750 laptop and started with a clean install of Windows, but when I went to install windows again it did not give me an option to hook up my internet. Usually when I install Windows on my other computer that ask me for Internet details but for some reason on my laptop it does not.

Do I need to install Windows 8 drivers before I can install my internet and once I do install the drivers how do I get my internet going?
10 REPLIES 10

navis995
Level 11
If you plug it via the ethernet cable you'll have the internet and can then download the necessary drivers. If not use the Wi-Fi.

Isn't that how it goes?
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Steelbrawls wrote:

Do I need to install Windows 8 drivers before I can install my internet and once I do install the drivers how do I get my internet going?

Honestly have never tried a clean install on the G750 and not sure which G750 model you have, but I see chipset, ATK, LAN, wireless, and other Win8.1 drivers posted on the ASUS download site for the G750JZ, so you probably want to check your device manager and install the correct drivers for your G750 model (check the label under your notebook to find your G750 model name) to get your internet working if you're not seeing anything listed for your wired or wireless networking in device manager.

Hopefully you have another computer that you can use to download if necessary.

If you go to www.asus.com , choose your region and look under 'support' you should be able to search the drivers for your G750 model.

Good luck!

Steelbrawls
Level 7
One would think that's how it goes but unfortunately that is not the case, when I reinstalled windows it did not give me the option to enter my internet details like usual. Now that I have windows up and running and I go to networks it shows nothing even with a cable installed, there's no internet ..nothing.

cl-Albert
Steelbrawls wrote:
One would think that's how it goes but unfortunately that is not the case, when I reinstalled windows it did not give me the option to enter my internet details like usual. Now that I have windows up and running and I go to networks it shows nothing even with a cable installed, there's no internet ..nothing.

Did you just 'reset' or refresh Windows, or use a disk or ISO to do a clean install of Win8?

If you tried a clean install with a Windows disk or ISO that sounds normal for desktops and will probably be similar for notebooks since Windows by itself usually will not have many of the drivers you need for your computer.

You probably still need to download and install your notebook drivers before your internet will be working.

If you don't see any wired or wireless network adapters under device manager, you will not be able to get an internet connection until you fix this.

Can you check Windows device manager by right-clicking the bottom left-hand corner of your screen to pull up the menu and select 'device manager' to see what show up under the networking devices category?

For others considering clean installs it's usually better to download the drivers you need first as well as back-up your factory image in case you need them later before you erase everything.
Personally, I'm happy just to keep using the ASUS factory image and avoid the hassle of a clean install, but I work for ASUS and am a bit biased.

Steelbrawls
Level 7
I have the g750jw model and running Windows 8 pro and I did a fresh install from disk.

Steelbrawls
Level 7
OK I check device manager and it says under "other devices "

*BCM20702A0
*Ethernet Controller
*Network Controller
*PCI Simple Communications Controller
*SM Bus Controller
*Unknown Device

These need drivers for win 8 pro.

cl-Albert
Yes, you want to install the drivers for those 'other devices'.

Below is the global G750JW download site which should work fine for drivers, but if you ever browse products or do other things, you want to look in the bottom left-hand corner of that page and click on the Global/English link to switch to your local region or country.

Anyway, if you can connect by wired LAN it will probably be easier, but suggest downloading (with another computer?) and installing the Win8 chipset driver first, the ATKACPI driver under 'utilities', and the latest LAN driver to get your internet working, but you probably want to install the VGA driver soon or earlier if there is any problem to see things on the screen.

There are a few different wireless drivers posted though, so you may need to try them all to find the right one, or see if anybody else has better suggestions to help you figure out which one you need.
Don't forget to install the ASUS wireless radio control utility as well if you're finding any problems to turn on and off the wireless.

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/

cl-Albert wrote:
Yes, you want to install the drivers for those 'other devices'.

Below is the global G750JW download site which should work fine for drivers, but if you ever browse products or do other things, you want to look in the bottom left-hand corner of that page and click on the Global/English link to switch to your local region or country.

Anyway, if you can connect by wired LAN it will probably be easier, but suggest downloading (with another computer?) and installing the Win8 chipset driver first, the ATKACPI driver under 'utilities', and the latest LAN driver to get your internet working, but you probably want to install the VGA driver soon or earlier if there is any problem to see things on the screen.

There are a few different wireless drivers posted though, so you may need to try them all to find the right one, or see if anybody else has better suggestions to help you figure out which one you need.
Don't forget to install the ASUS wireless radio control utility as well if you're finding any problems to turn on and off the wireless.

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/

OK thank you, I'll check this out tomorrow after work.

Steelbrawls
Level 7
UPDATE *SOLVED

I reinstalled a new version of Windows 8.1, bought a key from Microsoft and all is good. Then I downloaded DRIVER BOOSTER 3 and updated all of my drivers to new. My laptop is back guys.

Thanks to all for the time and help.