cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers for Asus ROG G46VW not found

Nero-G
Level 7
Hi, my laptop recently had a hard drive failure and I made the mistake of not creating a recovery before that. Now I intend to get a new copy of Windows and to reinstall back the drivers. So I have a few questions;

1). My laptop previously came pre-installed with Windows 8. If i buy Windows 7 and install it in a new hard drive, will this clash with the BIOS? Since I understand that the BIOS contains data from the previous Win 8.
2). Where do I download the drivers for Asus ROG G46VW?

EDIT: Ignore question 2, I found them on the Asus main site under "Support". But my question 1 remains. Thx in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

toronto699
Level 13

Pandur
Level 10
The product key for Windows 8 is stored in the bios if your computer came with that originally. So all you really need to reinstall is a usb stick with a Windows 8 installation media on it. Then you can do the free upgrade to Windows 10.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Pandur wrote:
The product key for Windows 8 is stored in the bios if your computer came with that originally. So all you really need to reinstall is a usb stick with a Windows 8 installation media on it. Then you can do the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Sorry I'm new to this installing OS stuffs. I made a USB installation media with Win 8.1 in it, but since I can't access my current hard drive (stuck in boot loop), I do not know the Product Key for my Win 8.
If I change hard drive to a new empty one, will it be possible to install back without the product key? Like, will the BIOS auto-input my key during install?

Also another question, since my laptop originally came with Win 8, if I buy a new copy of Win 8.1 and install it in a new hard drive, will it affect my BIOS or whatever? (Since Win 7 is a hassle for getting the drivers for my laptop model.)
Or must I install the same base OS (Win 😎 just like the pre-installed one previously so there would be no clash whatsoever?

You don't need to do anything as long as you USB media contains Win 8.1 64 bit Core the install should pick up the Key from your UEFI, Yes that is probably why you are having issues UEFI Install.
This old thread should tell you every thing you need to know. You don't nedd to buy anything unless you decide to try win 7 on your notebook http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=
Main thing when you boot USB media hit the Esc Key that will bring up a Boot menu select your UEFI USB to boot from
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Nero-G
Level 7
But the weird thing is when I try to install using the Win 8 install media from the USB (downloaded from microsoft site), the key doesn't preload automatically? It still asks for my key which I do not have access to.

Try using the correct one of these
XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB (Windows 8.1 Professional)
GBFNG-2X3TC-8R27F-RMKYB-JK7QT (Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center)
334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT (Windows 8.1 [Home])
Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

These will let the install start, you embedded key will activate once you go online. Insure you are installing the correct version of window that your computer came with.

Really if you using the USB made by this website you shouldn't have to use a generic key you should be able to proceed installing test install or just pressing continue http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media You should be using win 8.1 core or home 64Bit and booting the USB device UEFI.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

frewi
Level 7
My suggestion/0.02@ is using RW-EVERYTHING to view your true bios key

you can get it here - http://rweverything.com/

here are the instructions i wrote down for general use and this is the 32bit version I'm showing
cause i was fixing my tablet up and clean installing win 10 and just to note - you shouldn't need it if it's the right
version your installing that your key supports like Clintlgm is saying- ..

1. Run RW-EVERYTHING
2. Click on the ACPI Table button at the top.
3 . After that click on the MSDM tab. Your BIOS's product key should be shown there

and yes it got my true OEM key Even after i had upgraded to windows 10 which I'm pretty (correct me if I'm wrong)
sure windows 10 used a placeholder key inside the system so the bios left untouched

here's a picture to show you how it worked for me

If I'm helpful please let me know for that i know i'm doing good or else tell me for i can improve! 😛