cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using an M.2 SSD with Maximus Hero VI ??

Breimeister
Level 9
I don't want to buy a new motherboard just to try out an M.2 SSD so I ordered the Asus Z170 Deluxe Hyper M.2 X4 mini PCI-e adapter. I hope it will work and boot.
24 REPLIES 24

Breimeister
Level 9
Just thought I would let you all know that is does work and I am able to use it as the boot drive. Samsung Magician reports 2590 MB/sec read and 1553 MB/sec write and that is without rapid mode or any ram caching. No need to upgrade my motherboard yet. 🙂

Breimeister wrote:
Just thought I would let you all know that is does work and I am able to use it as the boot drive. Samsung Magician reports 2590 MB/sec read and 1553 MB/sec write and that is without rapid mode or any ram caching. No need to upgrade my motherboard yet. 🙂

Hello. Did this reduce the speed of your other 3.0 x16 port (for gfx card) from x16 to x8?

Nate152
Hello Breimeister

By the speeds you posted it looks like you're using the Samsung 950 pro but I didn't think the maximus vi series boards supported NVMe.

What M.2 pcie ssd are you using?

Breimeister
Level 9
I am using a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD attached to a Z170 deluxe hyper X4 mini card. I have it plugged into my PCIe-X8_2 slot. I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, I don't remember if I needed to install the Samsung Driver. I had to enable CSM in the bios and make sure the SSD is an MBR drive.

My system works great! This SSD, the size of a stick of chewing gum looks very small in a full server case. I am amazed how quickly times have changed, if I compare it to the first huge 80MB hard drive I bought, this SSD would have cost $80,000,000.00.

Breimeister wrote:
I am using a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD attached to a Z170 deluxe hyper X4 mini card. I have it plugged into my PCIe-X8_2 slot. I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, I don't remember if I needed to install the Samsung Driver. I had to enable CSM in the bios and make sure the SSD is an MBR drive.

My system works great! This SSD, the size of a stick of chewing gum looks very small in a full server case. I am amazed how quickly times have changed, if I compare it to the first huge 80MB hard drive I bought, this SSD would have cost $80,000,000.00.

Wait, how is this even possible? Z87 doesn't support NVMe or booting from M.2 SSD, let alone with an adapter. There was even an petition on an Asus website to make this possible https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-nvme-support-poll-voice-your-opinion/

This http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Internal-MZ-V5P512BW/dp/B01639694M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465... is what you are using with the Asus Hyper M.2 X4 - PCI-Express Gen2/3 to M.2 x4 SSD Adapter Card???

Also, what BIOS version do you have for your board?

Sorry for all the questions man, but I am in Jamaica with no simple option of returning anything, so I wanna grasp everything fully before doing any purchases.

Thanks
8700K / Noctua U12S / Maximus X Hero / 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz / EVGA GTX 1080 Ti / Seasonic Prime 650W / 4 x 1TB SSD / 970 Pro 512GB M.2 / Game Zero Headset / K95 Platinum / Logitech G502 / Win 10 x64/ ViewSonic XG2701 1080p 144Hz

Shinchan0125
Level 10
Breimeister wrote:
I don't want to buy a new motherboard just to try out an M.2 SSD so I ordered the Asus Z170 Deluxe Hyper M.2 X4 mini PCI-e adapter. I hope it will work and boot.

Where did you buy it from?

Breimeister
Level 9
I bought the Asus Z170 Deluxe Hyper M.2 X4 mini PCI-e adapter from someone in Germany; it was sold on Ebay. I guess someone bought that motherboard and did not need this adapter. They did not include the screw set which was a pain.

Glad you worked it out and little screw did not stop you. I bought Asus Z97-Pro for this very reason (M.2 slot), however ATM the mainboard fail to recognize the SSD (Samsung SM951 (MZ - HPV1280) M.2 128G SSD).

And this should be standard M.2 SSD, so I expected it to work w/o hassle. But so far it is not looks like anyone can help me out yet with it:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81308-Asus-Z97-Pro-%28WiFi-ac%29-not-see-my-M-2-SSD-drive

So I looked at the bios and it says version 2303 - I did not even find such bios on the support page for the board:
http://www.asus.com/cz/Motherboards/Z97PROWiFi_ac/HelpDesk_Download/
Also only since bios: Z97-PRO BIOS 2205 the board support: "3. Support NVMe" ... so... It might not be as easy...

However when I downloaded the latest 2702 bios, the file is not recognized by the old bios as valid?! WTF ... :mad:

jacksragingbile
Level 7
I have been researching this forever! Glad to hear it's possible. Gotta research that adapter.
NzXt 810 (white) | Maximus Formula VI | i7 4770k | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Evga 780 Ti SC ACX | Cooler Master v1000 | Corsair h100i | 256 Samsung 840 Pro | Win 10