cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil Whine on ASUS GTX 980 Ti POSEIDON

PETTERSSON
Level 7
Hello!

I recently buy a gtx 980 ti poseidon and i have annoying coil whine with it.

The worth is not in game (cos i play with headphones so it don't bother me) but when i'm on internet or simply on the deskop, i have a very high pitched coil whine that i can ear also with my headphone and it start to drive me mad.

It's the 4th card i test and i start to believe that it's may be impossible to have a gtx 980 ti without coil whine.

I heard a lot about noise who dissapear after a certain amount of use or about a faulty PSU or MB.

The first 2 cards was GALAX GTX 980 Ti HOF ans the others was the poseidon.

I start to think that it's maybe not on the GPU side but i can't buy others PSU or MB to test it.

Is anyone have this card and have no coil whine?

PS: i'm not english, so if my english is not very good you'll know why. 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
I own both the the Poseidon GTX 980 Ti and Seasonic Platinum 1200W and I don't hear any coil whine.

Have you tried pinpointing where the noise comes from? Also how old is your PSU?

Chino
Level 15
I own both the the Poseidon GTX 980 Ti and Seasonic Platinum 1200W and I don't hear any coil whine.

Have you tried pinpointing where the noise comes from? Also how old is your PSU?

My PSU is almost one year old and the coil whine come from the coil between the power connectors and the right water conexion.

I was thinking that it may be my PSU cos it's 4 cards with the same problem, but i read here and there that it can also be the MB.

I have a ASUS Z97WS since the same time than my psu.

I think i'll return again this GTX 980 Ti and prey to have one without this annoyning noise.

Cos if i had coil whine only in game it was not a problem, but i have it on the desktop and i can ear it trough my headphones 😕

Thank you for your answer, i start to believe that i may have more luck next time 🙂