cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Urgent] Motherboard dead? Start/Reset light on but cannot turn on

5onic
Level 7
Hi,

Update: The motherboard led lights for start/reset turn on but the motherboard refuses to turn on. Please advise.

I thought my graphics card died... It started displaying grey/blue/red vertical lines and then all blue/grey when the drivers are installed. The card works with out drivers.

I thought this could be a faulty psu, or a dead GPU.

I took the GPU and the PSU to my old comp and the GPU works flawlessly.

Can anyone suggest if this is a defective motherboard? Or any additional suggestions and information? Thank you....
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15

5onic
Level 7
I just bought new psu and tried it on the system. The mobo lights up but will not turn on.
Evga sova 750 watts
Maximus viii hero
r5 silent case
DDR4 radeon ram
GTX9800+ (old gpu) (the new one causing **** on the screen is 7870 hd)

I don't know what else to do..

5onic
Level 7
I swapped the new psu to my old computer. Old computer works 100%. I believe the mobo is dead...

5onic
Level 7
All connections are correctly placed, as this motherboard was oddly working for some time. Unknown what may have caused the issue of it not being able to boot anymore.

I assume you mean 8 pin power cable for the cpu? The mobo power is around 24 pin.

ANything else that could cause this? (both psus I own do not work on this mobo)

I

Chino
Level 15
I would remove everything from the case. Then put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box that it came in. Then inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins.

5onic
Level 7
Thanks I'll try that when I can.

I forgot to mention that the system does not turn on anything, excluding the LED lights on the MOBO for "Start/RESET". When I push the power button, NOTHING ELSE turns on such as the fan of PSU, GPU, FANS, and heat sink.

Could this be a problem with the cpu or mobo? I figured even if the cpu was dead there should still be something displayed, right?

Nate152
Hello Sonic

I'm wondering about your ram, is it on the QVL list?

When you try to start your pc does the motherboard give you a code on the LED readout?