cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TEMP Target stuck on 79C and won't budge now...

Timmygdizzle
Level 7
Hello all,

I have a Matrix GTX 980 and I was playing around with the settings in GPU Tweak II and think I may have broken something. I was playing with the Power Target and raised it all the way up to 125 which slides the Temp Target up along with it. For whatever reason I thought I'd try clicking on the button that "unlinks" these two values and I slid the Target Temp down to 79C. Then I proceeded to "BURN" these settings to the card. Ever since I did that now the temp target will only stay on 79C no matter what I do. I've tried clicking the button to link it back to the power, makes no difference. I've tried manually sliding it up and down, the second I hit APPLY it instantly jumps back to 79C.

Can anyone help me here, I am betting I don't really want the temp target to be just 79C permanently?

I've even tried resetting the BIOS on the card with the button (it said it was successfully reset but still is stuck on 79C). I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling GPU Tweak II back fresh to a different location. No difference at all, still 79C only.

If someone could just explain to me what this setting does even, I have been googling around for days and nothing is clear. Is it the temperature at max you want the card to run at? Basically the temperature when fans kick in more or what? I think it is because I notice that as soon as the card reads 80C the GPU Core starts throttling like crazy from 1500 down to 1240. It's driving me a bit nuts, how can I get this GPU Target Temp unstuck?!

Please help!

Thanks,

Tim
5 REPLIES 5

Starrbuck
Level 9
Same issue here. Thankfully, I'm on water so I never get close to 79. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Starrbuck wrote:
Same issue here. Thankfully, I'm on water so I never get close to 79. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

DUDE I just figured out how to fix it! I have been thinking about this for weeks and it dawned on me... why not try the older GPU TWEAK, not GPU Tweak 2. Sure enough, it let me set the temp target!!!!!!!

I am on Windows 10 and it ran fine... just get the latest one (June 2015) from here:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Graphics+cards

Chino
Level 15
The Burn feature is used to permanently save your settings into the vBIOS. All you have to do to reset the vBIOS back to factory default is push the Safe Button then open GPU Tweak. The program will do the rest. The whole process usually takes a few minutes.

Chino wrote:
The Burn feature is used to permanently save your settings into the vBIOS. All you have to do to reset the vBIOS back to factory default is push the Safe Button then open GPU Tweak. The program will do the rest. The whole process usually takes a few minutes.

Thanks for your reply but maybe you missed that I did already try the reset. Everything said it reset successfully but it did not change the temp target at all. So the reset doesn't seem to affect temp target. Also I am familiar with what the burn function does, there just was no way to burn it do anything different.

Kotronas
Level 9
Guys sorry for bringing this old three up but having similar issue with my 980 ti strix. Gpu temp target doesn't change when pressing OC GAMING OR SILENT it stays at 60 C. If I press unlink button then I link them the temp target goes normal 91C 83C and 77C but when pressing apply it removes the selection of the OC GAMING SILENT mode.

Any ideas what it is ?

Already made a fresh windows install about this but I get the same. Even swaped the 2 cards and used one each time without the other.