MotherboardMaximum Gene VIII
    ProcessorI5 6600K
    Memory (part number)2 x CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1KFA nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    MonitorPanasonic 58AX800
    Storage #12 x OCZ VECTOR 256GB RAID0
    OS WINDOWS 10

DTS Connect

Can anybody confirm they are using DTS Connect and what AV amp they are using? If so what PC software are you utilising it with?

ROG Member Array RogueEric PC Specs
    RogueEric PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G75-VW w/Mushkin 256GB SSD
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Skylake i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ (2 x 8GB) Model F4-3400C16D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1ROG GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    MonitorAcer XB270HU 27"
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB (Boot)
    Storage #22 x Western Digital Black 4 TB (RAID 1)
    CPU CoolerEK Waterblocks Predator 240
    CaseFractal Design Define S
    Power SupplyBe Quiet! Dark Power Pro 850W
    Keyboard G.Skill KM780 RGB
    Mouse G.Skill KM780
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Bose QC 25
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87R
    Accessory #1 ASUS BW-12D1S External Blu-Ray Writer

I don't have an answer but I'd like to follow along. What's your setup or planned setup?

New ROGer Array

I tried tinkering with this over the past 2 days. Essentially, it seems that nobody with a realtek onboard audio chip on Z170 boards can get DTS connect or dolby to work via SPDIF on windows 10. I've looked everywhere, there is acknowledgement from microsoft and realtek that this is a bug, but the blame keeps getting passed around like a tennis ball, in the end, nobody seems to be working on a fix for this. Or if they are, it may take an undeterminded amount of time.

The only way to get DTS connect or Dolby encoding over SPDIF is to get a discreet sound card. In my case I still had an old Creative X-fi Fatality sitting around, connected it to a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers over SPDIF and Dolby encoding now works as normal.

Also note that my above comment only applies to Z170 boards with realtek audio chips on windows 10. If you are running windows 7, there is no issue. Also in case you were wondering - motherboards with Creative Core3D sound chips do not support DTS connect or dolby encoding.

Hope that helps!

New ROGer Array Steve Hindmarsh PC Specs
    Steve Hindmarsh PC Specs
    ProcessorI5 6600K
    MonitorPanasonic 58AX800
    OS WINDOWS 10

Thanks for letting me know about Z170 Realtek and Windows 10 setup - what a disaster!

I currently use a very old Yamaha AV amp which has individual external decoder line-in inputs (5.1), this works great with the maximum VIII Gene Z170/Realtek/Windows 10 setup using 5.1 line-out connectors. I use PowerDVD15 and games and everything successfully with the PC sound configured to a 5.1 Speaker setup - great!

Thing is; my amp has an intermittent right speaker forcing me to upgrade.

It only has Dolby Digital not DTS so the SPDIF is not an option at the moment so; I was hoping to buy a new amp with DTS capability (low range models no longer have 5.1 external decoder line in) but will hold off until somebody takes responsibility and fixes the issue as described.

This means I, unfortunately, can't test if any updates fix the problem so would appreciate any feedback to this forum if they are fixed.

In the meantime is the encoded signal passed through HDMI (INT or EXT GFX) as well as the SPDIF? Most modern amps would expect you to connect through HDMI these days...

New ROGer Array

If you are connecting your PC to receiver via HDMI there should be no issue. At least from what I've read around. DTS connect software is purely for 5.1 output via the optical SPDIF. Optical cables don't have the bandwidth to pass 5.1 channels audio so it needs to be compressed/encoded and then decoded again by the receiver.

You may have to look into what it takes to setup 5.1 via HDMI, but it should work.

Honestly, I get the feeling that Microsoft and Realtek aren't really too pressed on solving the DTS connect issue quickly simply due to the fact that the number of people trying to get 5.1 via optical SPDIF is rather limited. Most people would do this over HDMI or use the analog line-out plugs. Both of which seem to be working fine on windows 10.

Steve Hindmarsh PC Specs
    ProcessorI5 6600K
    MonitorPanasonic 58AX800
    OS WINDOWS 10

Thanks for your input, I'm itching to upgrade my amp, I think you've given me enough confidence to do it but yes I will research HDMI linkage to it first. Starting here; has anybody tried linking the Gene (or any VIII series) motherboard via internal GPU (or preferably via an NVIDIA GTX760 which I have), to an AV receiver via HDMI (with video pass through obviously)? If so what has the receiver been able to receive (DTS etc. and via what programs producing the source)?

Thanks

ROG Member Array majstermod PC Specs
    majstermod PC Specs
    MotherboardM8G
    Processori5-6600K @ 4300MHz
    Memory (part number)Crucial Balistix Elite 16GB Kit 2666 (BLE8G4D26AFEA.16FAD) @ 2600MHz 11-10-10-28-1T 1,35V
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte GV-N960IXOC-2GD
    MonitorSamsung UE50HU6900
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 120GB SSD
    Storage #2WD Caviar Blue 500GB
    CPU CoolerNoctura NH-L12
    CaseThermaltake LanBox
    Power SupplyEnermax Modu82+ EMD425AWT
    Keyboard Logitech MK300
    OS Windows 10

I have also spent several days looking for solution on different forums.

DTS Interactive finally works after last Windows 10 update.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    Driver: Realtek_Audio_Win7-81-10_V6017629 (downloaded from ASUS webpage).

I have DTS 5.1 sound over Toslink on my AV.
    Unfortunately there are some limitations.
    Pass-through mode in LAV filter for anything above 5.1 (for example Dolby True HD 7.1) can't work in such configuration.
    For games Toslink is required.
    For other content I still use HDMI in my GTX960.
    It's a little annoing, because every time I want to change played content. sound source related to HDMI from PC has to be configured in AV(change from HDMI to Optical) and output in some applications has to be reconfigured.
    Right now I have some workaround.
    • Default output in Windows is built-in Realtek.
    • All applications, which have such possibility are configured manually to use HDMI.

Next limitations.
    I don't know why, but each game works differnt.
    • Mortal Kombat X - I have sound in all speakers
    • Witcher 3 - AV receives DTS 5.1 but only front channels are used (I have direct mode selected, because I don't accept any up-mixing

Is there any way to render sound from games (use DTS Interactive) by onboard sound card and redirect it to HDMI in graphic card to use one HDMI connection for everything?
    Last edited by majstermod; 11-17-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Steve Hindmarsh PC Specs
    ProcessorI5 6600K
    MonitorPanasonic 58AX800
    OS WINDOWS 10

Reconfiguring per application as you describe is precisely the inconvenience I was hoping not to encounter, so; I too would hope that a one size fits all HDMI solution could be arrived at. I would love to hear from anybody achieving it or ASUS/Realtek/Windows 10 Development with this on the radar?

Thanks for your input.

New ROGer Array proctous PC Specs
    proctous PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4x8gb 3200Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Evga 970 SCC
    Graphics Card #2Evga 970 SCC
    MonitorLG 29in Ultra Wide
    Storage #1Corsair GT 120 SSD
    CPU CoolerXSPC CustomLoop
    CaseCorssair 800D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse Corsair Scmitar
    Headset Astro A40
    Headset/Speakers Klipsk
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear 5300AC

Has anyone seen a fix on this yet? I just got a Maximus VIII Hero and connected the optical cable to my Astro A40 Mixamp, but it doesn't work correctly, only get 2 channel. I have a creative soundcard but i wanted to avoid using that.