cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GTX 980 MATRIX with diffrent SLI bridges

Justinfo
Level 7
Hi

I have 2 ROG GTX 980 MATRIX card and really want the ROG Enthusiast SLI Bridge , my problem is i need the 2-WAY one for my system and no shops in south Africa or online that ship to south Africa have this in stock.

I have been looking for a month now and ASUS South Africa is useless , they say call one of out distributors , I called them all and they all say no we don't have this we are not getting it . They just have the 3 way version .

So I was thinking about getting the 3 way and using a different PCB.

My question what SLI bridges ahve you gusy tried with these cards ?

Is any SLI brindg safe to use .

Could I for insistence get the EVGA Sli bridge and use that with the cards and modify it to have the ROG logo.

Would this work would the LED work .

Was thinning about that one or the MSI one .
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
Any SLI bridge will work. Fancy NVidia, ROG, EVGA, and Gigabyte SLI bridges all have issues which won't impact performance but fail to deliver on the LEDs. The EVGA SLI bridge falsely advertises that it improves performance - but in reality it cannot and does not carry any more bandwidth or electrical signals than any standard SLI bridge, and even if it could it would still have zero effect on performance because the bandwidth bottlenecks are based on the SLI interfaces built into the GPU cards themselves.

Some people report compatibility issues with nonstandard SLI bridges. I always use the unexciting standard SLI bridges which shipped with the mobo or GPU cards, it's easy enough to do a little custom plastic/metalwork and maybe wire up some LEDs to build fancy enclosures for them.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Vlada011
Level 10
What will be with SLI when Pascal show up with 1TB Bandwidth? NVIDIA think to keep him or to remove as AMD?
And what will be with bigger 1TB Bandwidth?
I have lot of standard black SLI Bridge, 3 Way SLI, 2 Way SLI From ASUS and EVGA.
ASUS give all SLI Bridges with Rampage 5 Extreme but I use one card always.

I like these 980Ti Matrix badly. For GTX980Ti I would choose 100% that model but problem is because I don't have money for both full GP100 Pascal-TITAN X successor and GTX980Ti Matrix. It's to small space between them too choose both cards, less than 8 months, maybe even less than 6 months. And I lose lot of money because people in Serbia can't pay real price of hardware when you want to sell. That mean I would need to pay 980Ti Matrix and 500 euro to save more when Pascal show up, than to sell Matrix lot above price of she worth, probably about 450-500 euro and invest in new Pascal close to 1000 euro. Than mean I need to pay 1500-1600 euro instead 1000 euro only.
And he have 16GB HBM 2, 1TB Bandwidth and probably is about 80% better than TITAN X, that's about
70% better than 980Ti Matrix.
Agan from other side this huge Matrix I like very much and probably will be better hardware than Pascal...:D

Vlada011 wrote:
What will be with SLI when Pascal show up with 1TB Bandwidth? NVIDIA think to keep him or to remove as AMD?
And what will be with bigger 1TB Bandwidth?

Pascal-based NVLink is anticipated to achieve peak transfer rates up to 80GB/s, nowhere near 1TB/s.

SLI allows up to 1GB/s, plus it can claim unused lane-dedicated bandwidth over the PCIe bus if needed. (And in case anyone asks, CrossFire apparently achieves up to around 900MB/s.)

Understand that games and applications are typically written for single-processor platforms - desktops, laptops, etc. Each GPU processes and calculates and renders and grinds out its own workload independently - inter-GPU communication is mostly needed only to coordinate GPU activities at a higher level. So not a lot of bandwidth is really needed. AMD's "bridgeless" CrossFireX doesn't even bother to use a physical link, it's just more packet traffic dumped onto the PCIe bus.

But GPU-based supercomputing involves bucketloads of GPUs crunching in parallel towards a common task. The processing efficiency of each GPU component tends to be increased when more complete information is made available, meaning that in a perfect world every single one of those dozens or thousands of GPUs has instantaneous access to the data every other one of those GPUs is calculating. Higher efficiency requires higher bandwidths, a little SLI bridge could become a tight bottleneck because it forces "simultaneously parallel" processes to feed through a long priority queue. Notice that most enterprise-class workstation GPU cards hardly even have a video output, they are instead stuffed with ports which link to other workstation GPU cards.

Admittedly, prosumer cards like Titans do blur the line a little, their upper potential might be constrained by little SLI bridges. The only thing holding them away from the server racks is deliberate lack of DFPP. But it turns out that games (so far) are really lousy at utilizing multi-CPU and multi-GPU hardwares, there are still many instances of games performing better or achieving higher fps when HyperThreading is deactivated or CF/SLI bridges are broken. Even if games can almost barely keep up with desktop hardware today, they certainly won't perform any better if given server hardware tomorrow - DX12 promises to deliver tools which can better balance and optimize multi-GPU loading, but it'll take years before they're properly used and ye olde SLI bridge is looked at as an obsolete interface.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]