cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q windows 10 desktop only runs 60hz set 120 out of range at boot

Republic_of_Pax
Level 8
Has anyone experienced this problem
Fresh install windows 10 Pro 64 by default the desktop was running at 60hz I never noticed for a couple weeks gamed a ton and no problems, I did have the nv control panel preferred refresh rate set to "highest available" so I was gaming at 144hz and can confirm that by hitting turbo button in game.
today I download latest NVidia drivers and notice the desktop at 60hz so I bump it to 120hz on next reboot I get "out of range" black screen
hook up old monitor uninstall divers, hook swift backup clean driver install works perfect at 60hz go to 120hz on desktop and I get out of range on boot.
tried 3 different windows 10 NVidia drivers same thing ever time.
set the monitor to 120hz via the turbo button,windows display to 120hz and NVidia control panel to 120hz so they all matched. out of range every time at boot
ran this monitor at 120hz on desktop with windows 7 since the monitors first came out with 0 problems.
i'm typing this on the swift at 60hz and just finished a couple rounds of battlefield at 144hz with no problems.
seems like maybe a windows 10 driver bug but do not see any posts with others having this problem.
any idea's?
6 REPLIES 6

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Yeah definitely sounds like a driver problem to me.

Is the monitor properly recognized as ASUS PG278Q?

A fresh install of windows 10 does not recognize the pg278q just calls it a generic monitor in the device manager
"same problem at that time" I then dug up the windows 7/8 monitor specific driver and installed just to see if anything changed,
Now windows 10 sees it as a pg278q but sadly no change to the problem.
Sorry I never mentioned hardware in my post
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Asus titan x Nvidia Driver 359.00 64 bit
Rampage iv black 4930k
16GB 2133mhz corsair dominator platinum Ram
512gb Samsung 850Pro
I am using the original display Port cable that came with the monitor
I can play battlefront all day at 144mhz no problems
and 0 problems desktop at 60mhz
not running the desktop at 120mhz is definitely not a deal breaker mouse just moves so much smoother just very odd

Korth
Level 14
You could try directly setting monitor refresh rates in the Registry.

It may or may not actually work (you should back up the Registry, create a restore point, and keep your standby monitor on standby, lol, just in case). But it would bypass any limitations built into the control panel applets and GUI.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Did you try a clean sweep of the drivers before reinstalling to the newest Nvidia drivers? There's quite a few people who have the same issue on Windows 10, it's definitely driver related. You can try what Korth suggested and should by default allow the monitor to go past the 60hz.

Korth
Level 14
I notice that the Microsoft page I linked only lists hexadecimal Registry values for 50Hz - 85Hz ...
Values for 60Hz = 3C, 85Hz = 55, 120Hz = 78, 144Hz = 90, 165Hz = A5.

I've confirmed the 120Hz/144Hz values work in Win10 with my PG278Q, although I had to regedit and restart twice (each) for them to persist.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Im try these suggestions this weekend and let you know how I make out.
thanks for the replies..