cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Formula - Case System Power Led strange behavior

R2D2Mares
Level 7
After reinstall Windows 10 (clean install) update the chipset drivers then SATA drivers, windows starts to freeze, the only way to restart the computer was pressing the power button for 10 seconds. After that, it freezes form 20 to 240 seconds every time I logon to windows. After the third installation the power led on the case goes blank and start to blink similar as the HD led (no at the same time), most of the time is off.

I upgraded windows 10 from windows 7 (64 bits) and I haven't the freeze problem, but the case system power led continued. I'm continue trying the clean install of windows 10.

Please help with drivers al the led problem.

Configuration:
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Asus ROG P​OSEIDON-GT​X980-P-4GD​5
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello R2D2Mares

I just recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 with no problems.

Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults before installing windows 10?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello R2D2Mares

I just recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 with no problems.

Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults before installing windows 10?

I did it, the only change I did was ignore the Fan Monitor of the CPU. Everything else is untouched.

Legolas
Level 9
Did you try unplugging the power connectors and plugging it back in, please? You may have a lose connection.
Sincerely,
Legolas

I'll check again the connections, just in case and let you know.

Nate152
Upgrading to windows 10 with the same overclock my games were playing ok but then started crashing, it seems windows 10 is a little more demanding than windows 7, lowering my overclock solved the crashing.

If you're doing the installation properly the freezing could be due to your ram, try raising the cpu system agent voltage to 1.15 - 1.25v, you may need to raise the vccio voltage to 1.15v as well.

Let us know if this solves the freezing.

Also if you're not using the asmedia sata ports you can skip installing the asmedia sata driver.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Are you deleting the original OS partition or using secure erase before installing Windows on your EVO?

Disconnect your WD HDD (and all other storage drives) when installing Windows on your SSD.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I was able to install Windows10 finally without the freezing behavior. The problem was driver issue. this is the order a made the installation.

Install Windows10 (obviously)
I don't configured the internet connection to avoid the drivers updates.

Chipset Win10 v11.0.0.1155
Restart
Asmedia SATA Controller Driver v3.1.6.0
Restart
Realtek Audio Driver v6.0.1.7525
Restart
Bluetooth_Win10 v12.0.1.650
Restart
NVidia (358.91-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql)
Restart

Exhaustive test open, closing applications from the control panel (was a clean installation)
I was deactivated the page file on C:
Restart

Two drivers were missing In device Manager
SMBus Controller
Unknown Device

I try to find the drivers in the folder where are the download drivers from Asus website without luck.

I finally connected to internet and I select from device manager to search the driver of the Bus Controller over the internet. The driver was found from Intel and AsusTek and the two missing drivers were:

• Intel 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Host Controlles - 8CA2 (for sure) v10.1.1.13 Intel
  • AMDA00 Interface (I thinking in this because I'm not sure) v1.0.0.0 ASUS Tek Computer Inc.

Restart

The I tried to create an Disk Image using the Windows utility but the drive D (WD 2T) appears with the System "attribute" and the image from 22 Gb goes to almost a 1 Tb I don't know why the D appears with that attribute but I have to disconnect all my drives except C to create the clean image of the installation.

Now... do you know how to change this System attribute of the D drive?

In the previously installation, some program files were installed there... but in the clean installation this supposed to be ignored because that software never were installed in this Windows installation.

The Led is off and when I boot from USB occasionally blink when the USB is accessed... the led works, the connections in the MoBo are correct, I disconnected and connected again the cables, the only thing I was unable to du, is to test led with a multimeter to check the continuity.

Let you know when I test the led. Maybe I had to disassemble the case to reach the led 😕

R2D2Mares
Level 7
To my question ...

Now... do you know how to change this System attribute of the D drive?

The answer is... unplug the HD -> RESTART -> connect again -> Done.

The System thing disappears.

Nate152
Ok so all is working ok for you now?

Check in the device manager and see if you have a yellow triangle beside pci communications controller. if you do you will need to install the IME driver that's listed with the chipset driver.

If you don't have a yellow triangle then you're good to go. 🙂