cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory and temperature problems (G751JY)

saiyadjin
Level 7
hi guys,

so i've got 4860HQ, 8GB RAM, 980M 4GB,

rog g751jy laptop.

when i play games normally my temperatures run around 70~75ish under load with cpu and gpu less i think.
Now the problem is next:

when i bought laptop (almost a year ago) - it's temperatures weren't going over 70 at all. It used bios 202 and all i had was windows 8.1 and drivers all installed from asus webpage.

Today's situation is somewhat worse - a lot worse. I've upgraded to windows 10 (clean install) - installed all the drivers for windows 10 that were available, and then i tried skyrim + enb. I've watched with aidaExtreme temperatures and fan speed - fan speed got stuck around cca 3200 and when running with fully enb'd skyrim temperature went to OVER 90, around 96 it stopped i think!!
96!!! HELLO!? ASUS!? ANYONE?!?!?

After that i've downloaded bios 210 and flashed through bios, hoping for things to get better. Well now things got even worse, fans didn't go over 3100!

I've downloaded then notebook fancontrol program and used G751jy profile to run fans at 100%. They went up to 3300 or 3400 and temperatures ofcourse reduced to somewhere close to 80, which is a lot better.

Now i'm going to do some more Skyrim modding and let it use more scripts and texture mods, to burden it even more, to see what happens with fans / temperatures.

Anyway i hope bios 211 fixes FAN problems. Also, could it be DRIVER PROBLEMS?

And now for the 2nd problem - when i check my memory in aida it seems to run on 782MHZ (1564 MHz) <- WTF? it was around 1600 before bios / windows update, but now it's 20 mhz less. why? what the hell is going on asus?

IS my laptop ready for selling? Should i sell it and get G752? I expected much and i was happy for some time, but this is really annoying...

P.S. i'm trying to keep my room clean and table clean where i keep my pc, i sometimes blow inside the fans (once a month when pc is off) to dust off, maybe i should check termal paste and do something more about the dust? is it possible that too much dust got in in 13 months of usage?
8 REPLIES 8

Corporal
Level 9
You thermal paste has likely dried, you need to reapply it I think

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well first off we here in these forums are user helping other users, very few Asus Employees show up here.
Yes dust could be the issue.
Yes it also could be that the pasting on your CPU GPU is breaking down and needs to be redone.
If you feel that Windows 10 is making things worse, you should roll back to 8.1 and see if that fixes it.
using that aftermarket fan control program could be hazardous to your notebook
At present we don't know enough about the G752 to make any kind of opinion's yet.
20 hz is meaningless on your RAM unless that continues to fall its not an issue.

If your warranty has run out you could pay to have a repaste accomplished or do it yourself your so inclined. Great Care needs to be use in disassembly and reassembly cables and part are very fragile and easily damaged.

Driver issues if you download the latest Asus Support Downloads then turn off the internet and install the win 10 drivers may solve your issues. Windows wants to install their default drivers is you stay connected to the internet.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

aeolisio
Level 10
saiyadjin wrote:
hi guys,

so i've got 4860HQ, 8GB RAM, 980M 4GB,

rog g751jy laptop.

when i play games normally my temperatures run around 70~75ish under load with cpu and gpu less i think.
Now the problem is next:

when i bought laptop (almost a year ago) - it's temperatures weren't going over 70 at all. It used bios 202 and all i had was windows 8.1 and drivers all installed from asus webpage.

Today's situation is somewhat worse - a lot worse. I've upgraded to windows 10 (clean install) - installed all the drivers for windows 10 that were available, and then i tried skyrim + enb. I've watched with aidaExtreme temperatures and fan speed - fan speed got stuck around cca 3200 and when running with fully enb'd skyrim temperature went to OVER 90, around 96 it stopped i think!!
96!!! HELLO!? ASUS!? ANYONE?!?!?

After that i've downloaded bios 210 and flashed through bios, hoping for things to get better. Well now things got even worse, fans didn't go over 3100!

I've downloaded then notebook fancontrol program and used G751jy profile to run fans at 100%. They went up to 3300 or 3400 and temperatures ofcourse reduced to somewhere close to 80, which is a lot better.

Now i'm going to do some more Skyrim modding and let it use more scripts and texture mods, to burden it even more, to see what happens with fans / temperatures.

Anyway i hope bios 211 fixes FAN problems. Also, could it be DRIVER PROBLEMS?

And now for the 2nd problem - when i check my memory in aida it seems to run on 782MHZ (1564 MHz) <- WTF? it was around 1600 before bios / windows update, but now it's 20 mhz less. why? what the hell is going on asus?

IS my laptop ready for selling? Should i sell it and get G752? I expected much and i was happy for some time, but this is really annoying...

P.S. i'm trying to keep my room clean and table clean where i keep my pc, i sometimes blow inside the fans (once a month when pc is off) to dust off, maybe i should check termal paste and do something more about the dust? is it possible that too much dust got in in 13 months of usage?

First off do not double post things one thread was fine.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52467-Got-your-new-G751JY-G751JT-G751JM-Post-your-review-t...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79010-Memory-and-temperature-problems-(G751JY)&p=551555#po...

Secondly there is a search bar you could have used to answer your questions . 96 is normal for a 4860 and 4870 it doesnt mean your thermal paste is dried up or your full of dust. You probably didnt push it as hard before, you have to realize a game is not a benchmark with repeatable temps. If you wanted to be accurate you would have tested it in the exact same ambient temp under the exact same conditions. People have had new 4860s and 4870s run that hot at first purchase in multiple machines not just the asus g751. If you want to repaste you might gain a few degrees and a notebook cooler might net you a few more. You can also run it on a cooler with the bottom cover off. Honestly anything under 100 is nothing to worry about. I have worked on maybe 15 4860s that all ran that hot for much longer then your probably gaming. Dust it out with air and open if you feel comfortable doing so for a better cleaning but i wouldn't jump the gun and buy a new laptop.
Heres a simple disassembly
http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/asus-rog-g751-disassembly/
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Korth
Level 14
ROG G751JY laptop, almost a year old, still covered under Asus 3-year warranty. It might be a leet uber laptop but it's still just like any other laptop, it shares all the same problems and all the same maintenance requirements.

Clean all the vents, dig out all the dust. And buy yourself a laptop cooling pad.

Ideally, you'd want to do a full clean and repaste, take the whole machine apart, wipe and blow out every fin and rad and hole and corner with compressed air, lube and service (or replace) the old fan motors, apply a premium TIM where needed, perhaps install upgraded cooling components.

The battery is a year old, it'll likely last another year or year and a half before it can't hold charge for more than a few minutes use. But it is already middle-aged, the cell chemistry isn't as efficient (anodes corrode, electrolytes get contaminated, things slowly leak and seep and gas out), it now puts out a lot of heat when it's charging or discharging. So it runs hotter. Not a lot you can do about this other than replace or rebuild the battery.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

hey guys...

thanks for the answers.
i've blown out my vents from dust (wasn't much there to start with anyway), and i've tried skyrim again.
now the temperatures went a bit off and were around 88°C.

but after that i've done prime95 and furmark and temperatures again went 90+ and 80+ on GPU.

after that i've decided to try a few more things - i've read somewhere on the forum that chipset drivers might cause the problems with fans because different drivers work differently. i've installed drivers for win 8.1 (from asus driver page, they seem to install normally) and then i've tried skyrim again. CPU temp didn't go over 80°C.

gpu was around 75 max.

p.s. and that skyrim is not default skyrim, it's highly modified with 4k textures, lots of scripts (Cpu heavy), and ENB mod that rapes graphics cards (from ~180FPS to 45FPS on 980M)...

i'll do some more testing and clean a bit more vents, it could be dust too...

Korth
Level 14
I didn't think Windows would let a user install the wrong chipset drivers.

Wrong version, easy. Wrong chipset, no. Best to install whatever came on your Asus product disc or go right to the source (download from Intel, Windows Update, etc). Avoid any third-party sites like the plague, unless you like gambles and compromises.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ofcourse not, i've downloaded chipset drivers from asus website for my g751jy, but i've downloaded windows 8.1 x64 version, instead of win10 x64 version.

and installation of those 8.1 went completely through. and now everything seems more stable. wtf?

Probably when you installed 10 MS installed there version of the chipset Inf files. You intentionally installed the 8.1 versions. Maybe if you intentionally install the 10 versions they'll work better.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro