cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a perf/heat difference for models without rear vents?

sgtrock
Level 7
I see some of the ROG laptops have no rear vents. Ex: 752VW-DH71.

How does the cooling and performance of those compare to the ones that have the rear vents? I'm in the market and really like the angry look of the vented ones but if there isn't much difference then I'm partial to lighter weight. If there is a significant performance or heat difference then they aren't attractive any more.

For example I like the 751JL that best buy has since it has everything I want in a laptop plus it has a touch IPS. But the 752VW-DH71 at Amazon is a bit cheaper and doesn't carry $120 tax and is newer and lighter. But if it is a dog then I'll stop looking at it.

My uses will include casual gaming but primarily it will be a dev machine.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

aeolisio
Level 10
sgtrock wrote:
I see some of the ROG laptops have no rear vents. Ex: 752VW-DH71.

How does the cooling and performance of those compare to the ones that have the rear vents? I'm in the market and really like the angry look of the vented ones but if there isn't much difference then I'm partial to lighter weight. If there is a significant performance or heat difference then they aren't attractive any more.

For example I like the 751JL that best buy has since it has everything I want in a laptop plus it has a touch IPS. But the 752VW-DH71 at Amazon is a bit cheaper and doesn't carry $120 tax and is newer and lighter. But if it is a dog then I'll stop looking at it.

My uses will include casual gaming but primarily it will be a dev machine.

Thanks!

Yes there is a large difference in heat efficiency between those models but the 960m or 965m isnt running super hot to begin with as its an entry level card. You might consider a 970m+ if you planning on playing any of the newer games at reasonable spec. If your just doing casual games and dev work then go with whichever you like more. Personally if it was me i would wait for black friday, cyber monday or the week after as the 970m and 980m g751s will most likely see another price drop.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey thanks for the quick reply. 🙂 Where can I look for those deals on the g751s? I was actually looking about an hour ago and Google doesn't really turn up anything specific.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "reasonable spec" for newer games? I've seen the G750JM (which is what got me looking in the ROG line) in videos online running GTAV and FarCry 4 in ultra really smooth. (by "casual gamer" I mean occasionally playing a game like that) Pretty much blew me away. So I figured a G751 should run even better, especially since I want it to get a good 4-5 years of work out of it. I would probably spend less than 20% of my time gaming, and initially closer to 0% actually.

sgtrock wrote:
Hey thanks for the quick reply. 🙂 Where can I look for those deals on the g751s? I was actually looking about an hour ago and Google doesn't really turn up anything specific.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider a "reasonable spec" for newer games? I've seen the G750JM (which is what got me looking in the ROG line) in videos online running GTAV and FarCry 4 in ultra really smooth. (by "casual gamer" I mean occasionally playing a game like that) Pretty much blew me away. So I figured a G751 should run even better, especially since I want it to get a good 4-5 years of work out of it. I would probably spend less than 20% of my time gaming, and initially closer to 0% actually.

id check bestbuy, newegg and amazon on black friday and cyber monday and the week after. If it was me i wouldnt invest in less than a 980m but i like everything maxed on the newest titles. You could get by with a 970m in everything thats out now aswell with decent settings but the 980m comes with the m.2 ssd already installed which is a nice loading performance. We are hoping the 980m models drop to 1300ish so we can pickup more for the office gifts.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
id check bestbuy, newegg and amazon on black friday and cyber monday and the week after. If it was me i wouldnt invest in less than a 980m but i like everything maxed on the newest titles. You could get by with a 970m in everything thats out now aswell with decent settings but the 980m comes with the m.2 ssd already installed which is a nice loading performance. We are hoping the 980m models drop to 1300ish so we can pickup more for the office gifts.

Ok cool thanks. 🙂 I looked at Best Buy's Black Friday ad and saw no ROG listed, not sure if they will have a general sale or not. Do they (BB/NE/AZ) normally have price drops on those dates that they don't announce in ads ahead of time? I'm in the market ASAP but I'll wait if it looks like they will actually happen.

I'm not terribly sweating not having an SSD, I already have a Crucial MX100 in my current (ancient) laptop that I could cannibalize or more likely just buy a new MX200 after a while. Not sure.

One more question: How much of a difference would it make having the i7-4720HQ in this G751 vs say the i7-6700HQ in this G752? The G752 has a higher CPU but lower GPU. I know the old rule was always to max out the CPU to maximize usable life since it can't be upgraded, but again if the G752 heats up badly on me while doing dev work I'd rather get the vented G751. (esp if I can get a 970m in one for roughly the same price, since I'd like to try out some games again) I'm also concerned about fan noise from the G752, since it doesn't have the large vents do the dual fans run louder? I spend a lot of time on the couch with my wife nearby while we do work tasks and don't want to annoy us both with fan noise, or bake my legs like my current one does just watching Youtube. 😞

Thanks!

aeolisio
Level 10
Neither the CPU or GPU can be upgraded they arent MX slots they are soldered on the board. As for the difference between 4720 and 6700 its negligible. The difference between a mx100 or mx200 and a pcie m.2 drive is night and day. Your talking about 3 times the write and read speeds. Im not sure why anyone would buy a g751 without installing a m.2 drive, its akin to buying a Ferrari and installing a Honda engine in it. Once you go with a sm951 youll never be able to use a 2.5 drive again.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4870HQ-vs-Intel-6700HQ
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/7/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4870HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-6700HQ....
The price reduction if it happens and it did last year will prob be cyber monday or the week after. That g752 will of course be unable to cool as effectively as a full size laptop so if they were both running exactly the same specs and hardware that slim g752 will be hotter and the g751 is known to run cool and quiet. You will probably see more thermal throttling in the slim one instead of increased fan noise because theres only so much room to work with and undoubtedly they are using smaller fans at a reduced speed.

Oh wow thanks for those links, I had no idea the CPUs were that close in performance -- I was just going on the 4th gen vs 6th gen angle. Yeah I was aware of the non-upgradeability which is why I looked at the 6th gen initially. Nice to know it isn't a big deal. That definitely makes the 751 even more attractive.

Do you think there would be a price drop on the 751JL? Or will it just be the newer models like the 752s? Right now it is $1199 at Best Buy, about $1230 with shipping and tax. I'm frustrated right now because I want/need the laptop for some work I'm doing on the side, and waiting 2-3 more weeks will run me right up to the delivery time for my current project. The pro for Best Buy right now is they can deliver in a few days and they've extended their return period through 15 January, so I would have almost two full months to try it out in case there were any out of the box problems like I've read here and elsewhere. That is really compelling given the complaints I've read, but if there is a $200 or so price drop then that is compelling too.

I also read another post that a lot of complaints are from power gamers who do a lot of tweaking and customization, and that if I don't do a lot of system tweaks for video gaming then it will probably run just fine. Not sure which side is right on these machines.

Thanks again!

sgtrock wrote:
Oh wow thanks for those links, I had no idea the CPUs were that close in performance -- I was just going on the 4th gen vs 6th gen angle. Yeah I was aware of the non-upgradeability which is why I looked at the 6th gen initially. Nice to know it isn't a big deal. That definitely makes the 751 even more attractive.

Do you think there would be a price drop on the 751JL? Or will it just be the newer models like the 752s? Right now it is $1199 at Best Buy, about $1230 with shipping and tax. I'm frustrated right now because I want/need the laptop for some work I'm doing on the side, and waiting 2-3 more weeks will run me right up to the delivery time for my current project. The pro for Best Buy right now is they can deliver in a few days and they've extended their return period through 15 January, so I would have almost two full months to try it out in case there were any out of the box problems like I've read here and elsewhere. That is really compelling given the complaints I've read, but if there is a $200 or so price drop then that is compelling too.

I also read another post that a lot of complaints are from power gamers who do a lot of tweaking and customization, and that if I don't do a lot of system tweaks for video gaming then it will probably run just fine. Not sure which side is right on these machines.

Thanks again!

Its hard to say what will and wont drop in price even if you watch the indexes. I suppose you could always return or complain for a price match but best buy is known for restocking fees and being a pain with returns. I would never buy tech from there. You might consider Costco they had the best deal when i bought my personal g751jy and several of the work units were bought from them and they have by far the best return policy. You should also look for black friday and cyber monday sitewide and in store general coupons. There could be a $x off purchases over $x amount that could very well make a major difference in your purchase add to that price matching a lot of vendors offer and you can get a great deal.

Hmm interesting, Costco's website doesn't show any ROG laptops at all, just some Zenbooks and the like. Similar at Sam's Club website. Walmart has the same basic one as Best Buy but they want $1399 vs Best Buy's $1199 and the Walmart one doesn't even have the touchscreen, so its less machine for more money.

Totally agree that I never want to buy anything from Best Buy, but so far they have the best price, I've just been spoiled on no-tax via Amazon and the like for so long that its hard to swallow that pill.

aeolisio
Level 10
Costco has them in store only now not avail online until they get their g752s in stock which means if you do find one it will most likely be an additional 5-10 percent off.