cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VL with the new SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4?

hosedup
Level 7
I am seriously considering buying one today but with some of the issues with the 751 and this drive, I'm a little nervous. Does anyone know if the 752 has similar problems? My plan is to use this as a boot and application drive and use the existing mechanical drive for storage.

Also, will the 752 take full advantage of this drive? If not, I'll gladly save some money and get a cheaper one.
26 REPLIES 26

aeolisio
Level 10
hosedup wrote:
I am seriously considering buying one today but with some of the issues with the 751 and this drive, I'm a little nervous. Does anyone know if the 752 has similar problems? My plan is to use this as a boot and application drive and use the existing mechanical drive for storage.

Also, will the 752 take full advantage of this drive? If not, I'll gladly save some money and get a cheaper one.

Currently they have boot issues with the g752 aswell as the g751 if i were you i would buy a ahci sm951 even when the 950 did boot it specced slower then the sm951 in benchmarks and the sm951 works flawlessly.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good to know, thank you.

The boot problems, what exactly happens? I did some searching on these forums but all I find is references to problems but nothing specific, such as, won't boot, boots half the time, only boots windows, etc.....

Another question, sorry to be a pain. Since the 950 is a no go and the 951 can be finicky, can you recommend an SSD that works reliably and fast?

hosedup wrote:
Another question, sorry to be a pain. Since the 950 is a no go and the 951 can be finicky, can you recommend an SSD that works reliably and fast?

What are you talking about the 951 being finicky i have installed them on 40+ g751 machines without a problem in heavy daily use. Just make sure to order the AHCI version of the sm951 and its a simple uefi install.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aparrently my research was wrong. AHCI 951 with a UEFI install. Ill do exactly that. Thank you.

aeolisio
Level 10
No problem theres a sticky at the top about pcie ssd questions if you ever need more info.

So my awesome wife saw that I was seriously considering the purchase of a 950pro and decided to give me Christmas early. It will arrive tomorrow or monday. Since I'll have it on hand I may try to install it. If it does not work (which I'm afraid it wont) I'll see what I can do to get a 951.

hosedup wrote:
So my awesome wife saw that I was seriously considering the purchase of a 950pro and decided to give me Christmas early. It will arrive tomorrow or monday. Since I'll have it on hand I may try to install it. If it does not work (which I'm afraid it wont) I'll see what I can do to get a 951.

Hi. I have the same "problem" : my 950 pro M2 512go will arrive in the next few days... 😉
Any possible update on your test ? Did you receive and test it ? and manage to use it "proprely" for boot and system disk ?
thanks!

Actually its the same as with the G751 if you want M.2 SSD order one that comes with it preinstalled. This is new technology relatively and drivers will get straightened out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro