Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    So I'm getting ready to order a 950Pro M.2 SSD for my G752VL. My BIOS is v208. Should I upgrade to the available v219? I'm hoping that I won't have any issues once I install the NVME driver from the Samsung website and then use the Data Migration software to clone the 1TB HDD it came with. I noticed the previous post'er didn't mention anything about updating the NVME driver, but I'm guessing it's a must? Can anyone confirm please?
    Last edited by OscarJr; 08-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.

  2. #22
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    So I'm getting ready to order a 950Pro M.2 SSD for my G752VL. My BIOS is v208. Should I upgrade to the available v219? I'm hoping that I won't have any issues once I install the NVME driver from the Samsung website and then use the Data Migration software to clone the 1TB HDD it came with. I noticed the previous post'er didn't mention anything about updating the NVME driver, but I'm guessing it's a must? Can anyone confirm please?
    get it! problems have been solved with g752vt, expecting same with your model...i've seen imrovements with heavy programs like photoshop, lightroom etc. over 850 pro, however no improvement with booting speeds.

  3. #23
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by theVatansever View Post
    get it! problems have been solved with g752vt, expecting same with your model...i've seen imrovements with heavy programs like photoshop, lightroom etc. over 850 pro, however no improvement with booting speeds.
    OK, thanks for the quick response. But when you say "get it", do you mean the new BIOS, the NVME driver, the SSD, all three, just two?

  4. #24
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    OK, thanks for the quick response. But when you say "get it", do you mean the new BIOS, the NVME driver, the SSD, all three, just two?
    all three - i've all three , new bios, samsung nvme driver and samsung 950pro 512gb....it opens programs blazing fast.

  5. #25
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,854

    I would update the BIOS. The driver is your choice but I will tell you with certainty there is zero gain from using Samsungs driver. The windows native driver works just fine. Samsung produces all the M2 SSDs in ASUS laptops. They are all OEM and therefore not supported by Samsung in any way, Including drivers. The only NVMe drive they make that you can use that driver on is the 950 pro as it is considered a consumer device. Yes I ran both of the drivers and there is zero difference other than Samsung Magician working or not which is over rated. Im running two 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 that cannot be done with Samsung drivers because since the beginning of their SSD manufacturer their software and drivers cannot see past a raid controller.

  6. #26
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I would update the BIOS. The driver is your choice but I will tell you with certainty there is zero gain from using Samsungs driver. The windows native driver works just fine. Samsung produces all the M2 SSDs in ASUS laptops. They are all OEM and therefore not supported by Samsung in any way, Including drivers. The only NVMe drive they make that you can use that driver on is the 950 pro as it is considered a consumer device. Yes I ran both of the drivers and there is zero difference other than Samsung Magician working or not which is over rated. Im running two 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 that cannot be done with Samsung drivers because since the beginning of their SSD manufacturer their software and drivers cannot see past a raid controller.
    Thanks for that detailed response. Besides the obvious 1TB of storage from the two 950 Pro's you have, is there any other benefit from running them in the Raid 0 configuration? I'm not familiar with this kind of setup.

  7. #27
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by jaydee79 View Post
    I was able to install Windows 10 but i had to use the f6flpy in order for the drive to show up on the Windows setup.I used the 64 bit on for Windows 10 x64

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...Desktop-Boards

    It means however you are in RAID mode but it shows that the BIOS has the drive in RAID mode only and there is no way to change that.
    I also should reiterate that Samsung's NVMe controller is not there, drivers wont install and Magician still does not work.

    I also recommend that you remove the sata drive before this as windows will go to that drive to boot first, then to the SSD.
    I registered here just to say - BLESS YOU, MAN! You just saved a life and I'm guess I'm not the only one. Thank You!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •