cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Man's Sky

Hardliner
Level 11
This PC game looks really interesting. It is a procedurally generated universe made for exploring. Its endgame is reaching the center of the universe, but they make it sound like it can literally take years in real-time to do so satisfactorily:

¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
"Procedurally generated" usually means the sort of game you can walk through in a weekend but replay as often as you like. The real question, to me, is not how many mathematical permutations are possible when combining the interlocking map/terrain/mission modules - it's how many of these discrete modules are available, how "different" does each map look. Does the virtual landscape actually look different each time, or is it just another psuedorandom jumble of the same dozen terrain components. If there's not enough discrete artwork parts it all starts to look the same, sure the map is "unique" and you'll never see it again, but you'll always know where you are and where to go and you'll start ignoring features which aren't constant landmarks.

Once you've finished the game it becomes more about endgame chores - finding/earning upgrades, improving scores, collecting medals, exploring interesting (but unimportant) bits of the scenery you didn't admire very much the first time through. To me, this is where I begin to really notice the actual quality of the game, I can appreciate the extra dev effort and loving touches, I can condemn all the rushed or lazy programming shortcuts. I haven't played this one at all but at a glance it looks unimpressive - too much effort trying to hype and embellish things that (if they are indeed as truly cool as promised) are better demonstrated through video clips.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hardliner
Level 11
I am just happy that a form of AI, even if it is still in rudimentary form, is starting to procedurallly generate game-worlds.

If you are given to imagining the fantastic, you might consider the idea that you and I are currently existing within an AI's procedurally generated universe. . .. Once you give it some thought, you might come to find that it is not so fantastic--that it is very, very possible. . ..

Korth
Level 14
For all you know, Korth is nothing more than a rudimentary emergent Ai running in a clever collection of old DOS batch files.

I'm still of the opinion that this game doesn't look particularly impressive. Yet.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hardliner
Level 11
Everything has a beginning, and this being so, the Singularity with computers is not only possible, but seen with a 13.7 billion year-old (the supposed age of this particular universe) eye, even probable. The more I consider the idea . . . the more I am convinced that our 'gods' could very well be the AI matrix that we may well already live . . . or exist, rather, within. . ..

In short, the above-mentioned Singularity has already happened 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. . ..'

Hardliner wrote:
Everything has a beginning, and this being so, the Singularity with computers is not only possible, but seen with a 13.7 billion year-old (the supposed age of this particular universe) eye, even probable. The more I consider the idea . . . the more I am convinced that our 'gods' could very well be the AI matrix that we may well already live . . . or exist, rather, within. . ..

In short, the above-mentioned Singularity has already happened 'a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. . ..'

That's some deep philosophical s*** lol. But back to the game - I like the concept and it has potential but as it stands currently might be a little bit boring, no?