Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

G20AJ GPU Replacement

What's up? I'm upgrading the GPU in my G20AJ from a GTX 760 to a 980ti model.

I believe the Zotac 980ti reference model works? I already have the Alienware 330w PSU. Is there anything else I would require?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array a100 PC Specs
    a100 PC Specs
    MotherboardH97 Asus
    ProcessorIntel i7-4790 3.6GHZ
    Memory (part number)16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GTX980Ti Reference OC`d GPU: +210MHZ - Memory: +300MHZ
    Sound CardOn board
    MonitorBenQ XL2430T Gaming LED Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung Evo Pro 850 512G SSD
    CPU CoolerRog Dual Fan
    CaseG20AJ
    Keyboard Asus
    Mouse Asus
    OS Win 8.1 Core Single Language
    Accessory #1 Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Sup buddy,

Well seems you are set to go, just if your system doesnt play along, make sure to check Jumpers are all in combo mode for better performance. By that I mean all jumpers must be "UP".

There are few other threads on this very section you can benefit from regarding upgrading to GTX980Ti, Overclocking and keeping it much coo.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on this upgrade.

ROG Member Array

So, an update. It was "black friday" the other day and I purchased the Zotac 980ti reference card. I'll probably have it within the next few days, and then, I plan to install it immediately.

Are there any disassembly videos that were helpful to you? The only thing I know about the inside of the machine is that the GPU is stored in it's own little region, so I'm assuming I don't have to do that much with anything else, just get the case open.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

maybe this is usefull few other videos there as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7NroUI3UPY
    Last edited by toronto699; 11-28-2015 at 11:03 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FellPryde View Post
    What's up? I'm upgrading the GPU in my G20AJ from a GTX 760 to a 980ti model.

I believe the Zotac 980ti reference model works? I already have the Alienware 330w PSU. Is there anything else I would require?
    Please link me to a psu that will work because i cant seem to fine one anywhere

ROG Member Array

So, another update. I just received the 980ti today, pretty damn late at night.
    I've been getting everything in order to install it, but I noticed a lot of people on the forum were talking about setting jumpers.
    I'm not entirely sure where these jumpers are located. Are they on the board underneath the enclosure the card is in? Are all of them related to the GPU?
    What do I set, and what do I leave alone?
    If there's anyone who is really familiar with the machine, could they let me know? If there's anything I absolutely should not touch, please explain to me what it is.

Also for whoever asked for a usable PSU:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware.../dp/B009IPUBTS

I believe I purchased one of these. I remember buying it cheaper than the price listed there, but it's definitely the same model number.

ROG Member Array

Well, I clearly didn't do something right.

Everything was going fine until the very end of the installation. Something about the shape of the 980ti made the GPU enclosure really hard to fit back into the case.
    I thought I got the PCI riser card all the way into the slot, but maybe I didn't. When I powered the computer back up, using integrated graphics, I could not find the new GPU in my device manager.

I only used one 8-pin cable to power the card, and the fan is spinning. Since the card isn't even in the device manager, then my problem would be with the PCI slot, and not a lack of power, right?
    How do I safely get the enclosure back into the case without having to force it? Not sure what to do from here, because if I take the enclosure out without a clear idea about what I'm going to do, I'm not sure how I'm going to put it back in.

ROG Member Array

Riser was just seated improperly, but I got a message about power connectors at boot. I guess I need the 6 pin port too, but I don't have that cable.

Edit: Where exactly can I find the 6 pin cable. I guess this question is for anyone with the zotac980ti.

Edit again: I've been looking all over, but I can't find any male/male pcie power cables online. How did you guys get this working?
    Last edited by FellPryde; 12-03-2015 at 12:03 AM.

ROG Member Array

I hate to keep bumping my thread, but I'm really stuck. I need another cable for my GPU, a six pin one, but I can't find anything online or even on thr forums about it.
    I really don't know what to do at this point. I still have my PC disassembled now, and setting the GPU enclosure back inside is not easy. I'm worried I'm going to
    damage something by repeatedly poking at it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room between the cable and the enclosure either, I'm worried I'm squeezing too much into such a tight space. This is pretty nerve wracking.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FellPryde View Post
    I hate to keep bumping my thread, but I'm really stuck. I need another cable for my GPU, a six pin one, but I can't find anything online or even on thr forums about it.
    I really don't know what to do at this point. I still have my PC disassembled now, and setting the GPU enclosure back inside is not easy. I'm worried I'm going to
    damage something by repeatedly poking at it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room between the cable and the enclosure either, I'm worried I'm squeezing too much into such a tight space. This is pretty nerve wracking.
    The 980 Ti requires 6-pin + 8-pin power to work.
    Strange that your G20 don't have those pins.
    Mine has one 6-pin and one 8-pin, like this..
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos image.jpeg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast