cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ GPU Replacement

FellPryde
Level 7
What's up? I'm upgrading the GPU in my G20AJ from a GTX 760 to a 980ti model.

I believe the Zotac 980ti reference model works? I already have the Alienware 330w PSU. Is there anything else I would require?
25 REPLIES 25

a100
Level 8
Sup buddy,

Well seems you are set to go, just if your system doesnt play along, make sure to check Jumpers are all in combo mode for better performance. By that I mean all jumpers must be "UP".

There are few other threads on this very section you can benefit from regarding upgrading to GTX980Ti, Overclocking and keeping it much coo.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on this upgrade.

So, an update. It was "black friday" the other day and I purchased the Zotac 980ti reference card. I'll probably have it within the next few days, and then, I plan to install it immediately.

Are there any disassembly videos that were helpful to you? The only thing I know about the inside of the machine is that the GPU is stored in it's own little region, so I'm assuming I don't have to do that much with anything else, just get the case open.

toronto699
Level 13
maybe this is usefull few other videos there as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7NroUI3UPY

mrpikmin3
Level 7
FellPryde wrote:
What's up? I'm upgrading the GPU in my G20AJ from a GTX 760 to a 980ti model.

I believe the Zotac 980ti reference model works? I already have the Alienware 330w PSU. Is there anything else I would require?

Please link me to a psu that will work because i cant seem to fine one anywhere

So, another update. I just received the 980ti today, pretty damn late at night.
I've been getting everything in order to install it, but I noticed a lot of people on the forum were talking about setting jumpers.
I'm not entirely sure where these jumpers are located. Are they on the board underneath the enclosure the card is in? Are all of them related to the GPU?
What do I set, and what do I leave alone?
If there's anyone who is really familiar with the machine, could they let me know? If there's anything I absolutely should not touch, please explain to me what it is.

Also for whoever asked for a usable PSU:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Adapter-ADP-330AB-DA330PM111/dp/B009IPUBTS

I believe I purchased one of these. I remember buying it cheaper than the price listed there, but it's definitely the same model number.

Well, I clearly didn't do something right.

Everything was going fine until the very end of the installation. Something about the shape of the 980ti made the GPU enclosure really hard to fit back into the case.
I thought I got the PCI riser card all the way into the slot, but maybe I didn't. When I powered the computer back up, using integrated graphics, I could not find the new GPU in my device manager.

I only used one 8-pin cable to power the card, and the fan is spinning. Since the card isn't even in the device manager, then my problem would be with the PCI slot, and not a lack of power, right?
How do I safely get the enclosure back into the case without having to force it? Not sure what to do from here, because if I take the enclosure out without a clear idea about what I'm going to do, I'm not sure how I'm going to put it back in.

Riser was just seated improperly, but I got a message about power connectors at boot. I guess I need the 6 pin port too, but I don't have that cable.

Edit: Where exactly can I find the 6 pin cable. I guess this question is for anyone with the zotac980ti.

Edit again: I've been looking all over, but I can't find any male/male pcie power cables online. How did you guys get this working?

FellPryde
Level 7
I hate to keep bumping my thread, but I'm really stuck. I need another cable for my GPU, a six pin one, but I can't find anything online or even on thr forums about it.
I really don't know what to do at this point. I still have my PC disassembled now, and setting the GPU enclosure back inside is not easy. I'm worried I'm going to
damage something by repeatedly poking at it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room between the cable and the enclosure either, I'm worried I'm squeezing too much into such a tight space. This is pretty nerve wracking.

FellPryde wrote:
I hate to keep bumping my thread, but I'm really stuck. I need another cable for my GPU, a six pin one, but I can't find anything online or even on thr forums about it.
I really don't know what to do at this point. I still have my PC disassembled now, and setting the GPU enclosure back inside is not easy. I'm worried I'm going to
damage something by repeatedly poking at it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of room between the cable and the enclosure either, I'm worried I'm squeezing too much into such a tight space. This is pretty nerve wracking.

The 980 Ti requires 6-pin + 8-pin power to work.
Strange that your G20 don't have those pins.
Mine has one 6-pin and one 8-pin, like this..