cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy another Strix 970, or a 980Ti?

ASUSpower
Level 7
Hey there,

I need some more GPU power to keep my framerates smooth since I play in 2560x1440p @ 144Hz. Should I buy another 970 and run SLI, or a 980Ti?

I'm worried that if I buy another 970, I will get stutters because I don't have enough VRAM. This would be the best option for me.. Or I have to sell my current 970 then invest in a 980Ti.

Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
MOBO: Asus Maximus Vii Hero
RAM: 16gb
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W GOLD Efficiency.

I play games such as GTA V, Black Ops 3, Arma III, H1Z1, CS:GO and new titles in near future.

Hopefully someone can give me a good explanation on what I should do. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.
6 REPLIES 6

Hardliner
Level 11
I am not the best person to answer, but if you want to have a more 'future-proofed' rig (at least for the next year or two, anyway), do what you have to do to get the 980Ti's. It seems to be a good time of year to get them, too--they are getting cheaper to buy. They may go down in price even more within the next month or so.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!

Korth
Level 14
One GTX980Ti would be roughly equal or better performance to 2-SLI Strix GTX970. Much better performance, actually, since many game engines are not code-optimized to make good use of multiple GPUs. And much better stability since a single GPU card will be a lot easier on your PSU, mobo, and proc.

The games you're playing now will look and perform better with more GPU either way. But you might want to consider system requirements for games you'll be playing another year or two down the road, I think the single GTX980Ti would serve you better (plus you could eventually pair it with another GTX980Ti, of course).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hardliner
Level 11
Yeah, what he said.

ASUSpower
Level 7
Thank you two for answers. Will most likely save up for a 980Ti then. 🙂 Have a nice day!

ASUSpower wrote:
Thank you two for answers. Will most likely save up for a 980Ti then. 🙂 Have a nice day!

Good gaming! o7

Chino
Level 15